Search the forum,

Discuss Finishing off a ceiling - Do we have too much gap? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

KylieZona

Hi all,

We were feeling all very pleased with our first attempt at a tiling job until we started thinking about how to finish the tiles at the ceiling. Examining a B&B's bathroom one weekend we noticed their apparently immaculate 2mm grout lines at the ceiling. Then we went back and looked at ours and well it's pretty wonky.

The biggest gap is 9mm. (See pics below).

So my question to the experienced bods is:

• Is it possible to finish off the job as is and it look decent (or will it annoy the heck out of me for life?) If it is possible, what do you recommend?
  • If not, should we remove the offending tiles and have a more serious attempt at getting a smaller gap with the ceiling. And erm what's the best way to remove single tiles with minimal damage?
Oh and should we grout up to the ceiling or it it better to use caulk/sealant?

Thanks in advance foryour time.

bathroom2.jpg bathroom1.jpg

K

KylieZona

Thanks so much for your reply Tommy & Phil. You have confirmed my worries. Being a bit of a perfectionist I don't think I can live with it either. I'm not 'feeling' the coving option.

Phil - I have used Super Fix - Waterproof and Flexible Tile Adhesive. It's a ready mixed jobby. I couldn't find any other detail that looked useful (like an ingedients list). Is that enough to go on for removal advice?

D

DHTiling

Use a thin blade scraper and pry one of those cuts off, use apiece of cardboard to protect the tile edge and with it being dispersion adhesive a cut should pop out.. then go in from the side of the remaining cuts to remove them..

If the first one will not pop off with ease then use a hammer to break that one cut into smaller bits and remove t hat one that way, then continue to remove the cuts in whole..

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Good news Kylie, cement board and solid plaster is much better than plasterboard, for removal of tiles, less damage to the substrate (wall ha ha) just take things slowly you will find it easier to take one cut off first, maybe break through the centre of tile. Then carefully remove the rest, once you have taken out the first tile you might be able to lever off the remainderof the cuts. Trial and error. Any more questions, just ask, good luck.:thumbsup:

K

KylieZona

Hello again,

I took the good advice of my Tile Forum mentors and went for it. I used a palette knife and a wrecking bar to jimmie the offending tiles off (and a few others managed to come off in sympathy as well - which was a bit of a pain). I was surprised at how easily they came off. I was half expecting huge chunks of the wall to come off. There was barely any damage to the plastered wall or the cement board. There was the tiniest flake that came off the plaster but I didn't bother to repair it. I originally left the two central tiles (above the window) because I thought they were good enough but in the end my cutting was pretty good so I took them off too and replaced them with some better cuts.

DeTiling.jpg

So the before and after snaps:

before1.jpg after1.jpg

before2.jpg after2.jpg

So almost done...

AlmostDone.jpg

The biggest gap before was 9mm and now the biggest gap is 3mm.

I was not happy at all with the job before but I feel pretty chuffed now. There still a long way to go (and plenty of mistakes to make) but at least I'm not cringing at the ceiling every time I walk in the room now!

Thanks so much for all your advice and encouragement - it massively appreciated!:thumbsup:

Colour Republic - the tiles are 40cm (H) x 25cm (W).

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hello again,

I took the good advice of my Tile Forum mentors and went for it. I used a palette knife and a wrecking bar to jimmie the offending tiles off (and a few others managed to come off in sympathy as well - which was a bit of a pain). I was surprised at how easily they came off. I was half expecting huge chunks of the wall to come off. There was barely any damage to the plastered wall or the cement board. There was the tiniest flake that came off the plaster but I didn't bother to repair it. I originally left the two central tiles (above the window) because I thought they were good enough but in the end my cutting was pretty good so I took them off too and replaced them with some better cuts.

View attachment 36117

So the before and after snaps:

View attachment 36118 View attachment 36119

View attachment 36120 View attachment 36121

So almost done...

View attachment 36122

The biggest gap before was 9mm and now the biggest gap is 3mm.

I was not happy at all with the job before but I feel pretty chuffed now. There still a long way to go (and plenty of mistakes to make) but at least I'm not cringing at the ceiling every time I walk in the room now!

Thanks so much for all your advice and encouragement - it massively appreciated!:thumbsup:

Colour Republic - the tiles are 40cm (H) x 25cm (W).

Much better Kylie,:thumbsup:

K

KylieZona

We've just removed 3/4 of the tiles and like you say, Bob, many popped off with barely any effort. They were coming off really easy on the plaster but there is some damage to the cement board. I'm hoping we can just tile over it.

I'm going to watch some videos on all over adhesive techniques now and see what the forums say about the cement board.

I'm thinking of painting the bathroom red to reflect how much I've bled for the blighter!

Third time lucky!

Reply to Finishing off a ceiling - Do we have too much gap? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.