Search the forum,

Discuss Finishing off a ceiling - Do we have too much gap? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

KylieZona

Hi all,

We were feeling all very pleased with our first attempt at a tiling job until we started thinking about how to finish the tiles at the ceiling. Examining a B&B's bathroom one weekend we noticed their apparently immaculate 2mm grout lines at the ceiling. Then we went back and looked at ours and well it's pretty wonky.

The biggest gap is 9mm. (See pics below).

So my question to the experienced bods is:

• Is it possible to finish off the job as is and it look decent (or will it annoy the heck out of me for life?) If it is possible, what do you recommend?
  • If not, should we remove the offending tiles and have a more serious attempt at getting a smaller gap with the ceiling. And erm what's the best way to remove single tiles with minimal damage?
Oh and should we grout up to the ceiling or it it better to use caulk/sealant?

Thanks in advance foryour time.

bathroom2.jpg bathroom1.jpg

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Reaction score
To be honest, I couldn't look at that, I would pull off the top tiles and redo. Your ceiling is a bit up and down, so you should mark both sides of the tile and cut to that line, following the slope of the ceiling

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi Kylie and:welcome: Oh dear, a valiant attempt, but that gap will drive you nuts. No easy fix, I'm afraid. I would remove the cuts and replace, nothing apart from a cove will hide the cutting, we would need to know the substrate/ adhesive used, to advise on best way to remove. Sorry.:oops:

K

KylieZona

Thanks so much for your reply Tommy & Phil. You have confirmed my worries. Being a bit of a perfectionist I don't think I can live with it either. I'm not 'feeling' the coving option.

Phil - I have used Super Fix - Waterproof and Flexible Tile Adhesive. It's a ready mixed jobby. I couldn't find any other detail that looked useful (like an ingedients list). Is that enough to go on for removal advice?

C

CJ CERAMICS

Remove and re-do as stated the finishing touches are the most important they can ruin an other wise good job if you rush them.

chris.

T

Hi Kylie, is your wall (substrate) solid plaster, plasterboard, sand and cement render etc.? the good news is as you have used a tubbed adhesive, the tiles should be easy to remove. But depending on the make up of your substrate, it is a case of how much damage you might cause by removing the cuts. Good luck.:thumbsup:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
no easy way to remove them im afraid, good thing is you havn't grouted them yet, this will prevent the tiles below chipping, only way to do it is a hammer and bolster and chisel away, make sure you cover the bath, basin and loo, to prevent any damage......good luck..

K

KylieZona

Thanks again Phil. A-HA Substrate (I did not know that word, Im going to sound like a pro after tonight!). It's cement board on one side and solid plaster on the other.

Think it's a hammer and screwdriver job - tap it and see?

D

DHTiling

Use a thin blade scraper and pry one of those cuts off, use apiece of cardboard to protect the tile edge and with it being dispersion adhesive a cut should pop out.. then go in from the side of the remaining cuts to remove them..

If the first one will not pop off with ease then use a hammer to break that one cut into smaller bits and remove t hat one that way, then continue to remove the cuts in whole..

T

Good news Kylie, cement board and solid plaster is much better than plasterboard, for removal of tiles, less damage to the substrate (wall ha ha) just take things slowly you will find it easier to take one cut off first, maybe break through the centre of tile. Then carefully remove the rest, once you have taken out the first tile you might be able to lever off the remainderof the cuts. Trial and error. Any more questions, just ask, good luck.:thumbsup:

T

Sorry Kylie, Dave beat me to it, my slow typing, but I think we all agree on the best way to remove the cuts.:lol:

K

KylieZona

Ahhh brilliant. Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate your guidance. I'll give it a whirl and will post some new piccies for your amusement/admiration (HAHHA) once the job is fixed.

Reply to Finishing off a ceiling - Do we have too much gap? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen