Search the forum,

Discuss Few questions. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

celt

HAve a few questions i have and it would be great if you could answer them for me please. I have been looking into some tiling courses here in ireland but still found nothing close by. Anyone know whats required for one to be a qualified tiler here on this island.

When mixing adhesive, how wet do you make it. Also what type do you use, i have used rapid set on 2 occasions and got caught out because the thing set very quickly and i was fighting with it and ended up dumping the stuff. The other time i used it, it was ok for laying full tiles down but when doing my cuttings, again i got caught out when mixed a full bucket because by the time i got down to under half a bucket, it was setting.

What size trowels do you use for what jobs. I must admit, i have only been using one trowel for laying, prob a 6mm sq trowel. Used this for both walls and floors and now im thinking i should have been better using a 10mm or 12mm half moon trowel for floors because probably would have been quicker laying tiles, esp where the floor wasnt that great.

When measuring for cuttings around the edges, do you try and leave a 3-5mm gap between the wal(or whatever your working to) or do you try and cut as close as you can get.

I have a stigma tile cutter and wondering would this be the top of the range cutter or is there better ones on the market.

Any tips on what not to do when starting a new job for someone and whats best to speed things up. When i mean speed things up, i wouldnt mean to rush, more like how best to set everything up so the job flows from start to finish without any set backs.

When you come across a bad floor, how bad could it be before you would consider replacing it. I know self leveler can be used but how much depth could the self leveler take out. Is it mm'rs or could the stuff take out half an inch ?

P

prceramics

when using rapidset its a good idea to dry cut the tiles 1st then mix up then lay

C

celt

when using rapidset its a good idea to dry cut the tiles 1st then mix up then lay

I think what my problem was is that even thou i dry cut the tiles, they needed buttering up underneath because the floor wasnt that great and it meant i was spending to much time on 1 tile. Next time ill be asking them to get the non rapid set stuff.

C

celt

or just level the floor first..

YEs that was my first thought on that job but 1, the owners of the house didnt want this and secondly, there was a hump in the floor and if it was all leveled out, it would have run into the front pvc door. TBH, the hump needed taken out with a jack hammer then self leveled but again, the owners didnt want this. Its ok to to say this and that needs done on the internet but some people want a job done as quick as possible with not paying out alot. Just aslong as they have a reasonable looking floor then they are happy. Just as long as all the joints are ok, no crazy unlevelness in the, nothing that catches their eye then people are happy with the work brcause TBH, all it is is a floor that gets walked on, no a piece of art.

C

Colour Republic

Its ok to to say this and that needs done on the internet but some people want a job done as quick as possible with not paying out alot. Just aslong as they have a reasonable looking floor then they are happy. Just as long as all the joints are ok, no crazy unlevelness in the, nothing that catches their eye then people are happy with the work brcause TBH, all it is is a floor that gets walked on, no a piece of art.

With quotes like that you'll fit right in with all the other run of the mill tilers who don't give a damn and just turn up for a days work without trying to be the best they can be.

I on the other hand take pride in my work.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Mix smaller amounts of rapid set. You will get quicker, but it takes time.. As for consistency, it's hard to put into words really.... Try mixing to the manufacturers instructions (ie weighing it out etc) until you get a feel for it..
if you get a water based leveller, with fibres in (you can get this from a tile shop usually), you can go up to 50mm deep.
no idea on rules for Eire, but for UK there are no real requirements to become a tiler (or any other trade for that matter) doing domestic work.. Site work, on the other hand, requires an NVQ.
Sigma are apparently great cutters.. Still haven't used one myself.
if cuts are going to be hidden by skirting, I leave gaps, but if they will be visible (ie doorways etc), I cut them in tight.

Reply to Few questions. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
We have just laid an outdoor patio and path using black limestone (now wishing I’d perhaps...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Tilers turned up this morning, I explained the plan, and they said it's impossible. Something...
Replies
Views
Hi I have two questions. First question. My bath is only 700 wide & im only going to tile to...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen