Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Fasted drying rapid set in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jonnyc

I need to fill in some voids between screed and a ply deck shower tray.
need to get adhesive dry as fast as possible so can put down otl tanking kit .
iam really tight on time .
is there any adhesive that is particularly fast to dry .
was thinking of using warm water to help go off quicker .
but is there anything wrong with using hot water and would this make even quicker.
void is up to 40mm deep and maybe 120 x 70 mm across in places where builder busted out screed to make room for tray.

O

Old Mod

I've seen rapid mixed with hot water before for a shop entrance. He barely had time to get it out if the bucket! Dunno if it'd effect integrity tho.

R

Rookery

BAL Variset is the fastest I've used, just leave out the retarder. Ardex X7R is fast too. The depth of 40mm is thicker than the manufacturers would recommend though.

J

jonnyc

It's not the going off that is problem.
A very well known trick years ago for rapid repairs was to mix ardex x7 and s16 or assumedly a similar fast and slow set.
can still do this now I am sure.
it is how fast I can it dry that is important.
cannot apply this otl tanking which I guess is similar to ardex tanking until adhesive void fill is completely dry.

T

The D

Ardex X7R is fast or if you can get a bag from a BAL rep they have re baged varieset that will go in 10 minutes flat

J

jonnyc

Ardex X7R is fast or if you can get a bag from a BAL rep they have re baged varieset that will go in 10 minutes flat
i can pick up x7r first thing .
just hada quick look at varieset. sounds good
key issue being how long it takes to being dry enough to over lay with otl tanking.

Houston

TF
Arms
Reaction score
White Ultra flexible rapid has fast drying times, ignore the drying times it specifies on the bag. My secret weapon is the old and trusted fan heater

J

jonnyc

yes sorry i forgot to say i have fan heaters and heat gun. just not sure whether extreme heat compromises solidity of set

Houston

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Usually just close all the doors and leave heaters on. On the odd occasion we've had heaters blowing directly onto adhesive and hasn't hand any adverse effect

Last edited:
S

streaky

I've seen rapid mixed with hot water before for a shop entrance. He barely had time to get it out if the bucket! Dunno if it'd effect integrity tho.
I had an apprentice bring me out a bucket of rapid set that was steaming once. We were tiling a balcony so he thought hot adhesive would help. Was quite funny as I wasn't paying for the sticky, must have put all of three tiles down before it went solid lol.

T

The D

Salt will slow the drying and sugar will speed it up or it may be the other way round LOL.

S

Stef

As above also, X7R, I took a bag back to CTD as I thought there was something wrong with it but then found out its a quick rapid.
It went off in the bucket in about 10mins max.

Reply to Fasted drying rapid set in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks