Search the forum,

Discuss Extending current porcelain floor tile without door strip in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Afternoon all, I am purchasing a new build property and the builder has already laid 4500mm x 4500mm porcelain floor tiles through the entrance, hallway and kitchen. As part of the purchase we have agreed they will lay the same tiling in 3 additional ground floor rooms but they have stated they will need to use door strips between the current tiles and new tiles. I'm not sure why this is and think it won't be as ascetically pleasing. Would the tiler not be able to lift the the adjoining tiles at the doorways (which have been cut) and continue the tiling in to the other rooms - making a seamless floor throughout?

If there is a genuine reason why this is not achievable I understand but it feels like the builder may be taking the easier path to avoid lifting tiles.

Appreciate any thoughts

Reaction score
Ideally there should be an expansion joint in the doorway. This will allow to movement as the new slab will shrink/move overtime. Also should have used a lateral mat on new slabs

Reply to Extending current porcelain floor tile without door strip in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen