Search the forum,

Discuss Experience counts for nothing....price is right ..nope in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

psychowitch

Just lost a job on price but luckily the customer is still using my plumber !

Hes just told me the guy that is doing the tiling aparently has 20 years experience and I lost the job by £150.. only because he needs the work apparently..or he would have charged £50 quid more than my price.

anyways hes not prep'd the walls (they were covered in old adhesive and needed some filling)...or primed them...

hes sticking in spacers but decided not to use them properly as his lines are going out...but blames the wall

has tried to hide an uneven wall (centre) by putting in mosaics in brick bond fashion (not what the client wanted)..

applies adhesive to the walls and back butters? I can only assume its because the wall is so bad and needs extra filling to even them out...

fixed and grouted same day....

floor has not prep'd ..or put down plywood or any substrate..(yes I know you can tile on some floor boards but this floor bounces and needed it)...his reasoning was because he couldnt be bothered trimming the door...

laid the floor today with the last tile going down at six tonight..and has grouted it...

Im just fizzing because these customers wanted to save 150 quid and he probably said 'Ive got 20 years experience' and bought that rubbish.....

Ive not been tiling for anywhere near that long and I like to do things right..and I know it will even itself out in the end and Ill probably end up getting a call to fix the floor (and the wall probably)

I dont mind losing out to some1 who does it right but just lately all I have been doing is fixing leaks and botch jobs..

I think the reason is down to money..guys seem to think they can earn upto £200 a day doing this and if it doesnt go as quickly as they thought they just throw the tiles in any old fashion .. It takes me a friggin morning to grout up a small splash back because I want it perfect...
:mad2:

sorry had to get that off my chest...

W

White Room

Talks the talk but don't walk the walk. You know it's not right but is the customer happy with it

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
it is frustrating mate,just try not to dwell on it its the customers loss.:thumbsup: ive been to a few similar abominations recently ,,the best one was where i turned up to a shower room fully tiled by a so called plumber,,,as if the tiling wasnt bad enough the shower cubicle resembled a bouncy castle if you touched it it swayed all over the place:lol: the guy had tiled the entire room disgracefuly and done a runner once he came to the boxwork:prrr: which i was called to sort:prrr: from the inside of the shower he had built boxwork above the height of the shower tray so you could see bare plasterboard from inside the shower:yikes::yikes: complete shambles

D

Daz

What a nightmare! I feel for you Psyco.

It really sucks when you know that you've lost a job to a bodger. I hope you get the call when it goes pear shaped.

I had to repair a job that was done by a suppossed 17 year in the trade tiler - it was shocking! Some guys will claim that they have the experience, but few can back it up. Stick to your principles and always do a spot on job, this will build your reputation. Always quote a price that you are happy to do the work for, otherwise you will end up compromising the finish.

W

White Room

Remedial work can be a good earner, not pleasant sorting out other peoples work and I can sense the fustration, still a good earner though

S

smurf21

imo never repair a botched job you already quoted on.always insist on a complete strip and retile you then get the strip aswell or leave it alone:thumbsup:

D

david campbell

imo never repair a botched job you already quoted on.always insist on a complete strip and retile you then get the strip aswell or leave it alone:thumbsup:

there's an old saying "you can't make sugar out of *****"(glaswegian i think lol:lol:)
but if you do it will lead to lots more work and referrals for you

Reply to Experience counts for nothing....price is right ..nope in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen