Search the forum,

Discuss Epoxy Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

newtile

Hi, I would like to use Kerapoxy grout. My tiles are ceramic 338mm x338 x 8mm .
I would like thin grout lines so will 3mm be ok with this size of tile and this grout?

I have read some of the data sheets from mapei and they say use scotch brite pads
for cleaning , which type should I be looking for so as not to scratch the tiles?

Also should I seal the tiles before grouting? If so which sealer should I use and would I have to remove the sealer afterwards? Sorry so many questions.

Phil

Reaction score
Hi newtile,

Interesting that you would like to use epoxy grout - normal grout is much much cheaper and much much easier to apply, however, if you would like to use epoxy, this is the advice that Mapei gave me:

You have about 30 minutes pot time - that includes mixing time! Plan well, have everything absolutely ready before you start, and get a cheap mixer paddle attachment for your drill, and use that to mix it quickly.
Mix the entire amount in one go - do not try a proportional mix, so you mix all the hardener to all the compound.
Use a rubber grout float, apply grout quickly, using firm strokes to get grout into gaps.
Use a sponge and water to wipe across tiles - wring out sponge, and move in circular motion across tile to remove excess grout.
Then wet and wring out sponge again - this time run sponge along grout lines to seal surface.
Leave tiles until next day.
On the next day - use a WHITE emulsifying pad, and a bucket of water. wet pad, wring out, and scrub gently across tiles. There is a dedicated handle for pads which makes it easier to apply, but you can do it by hand.
Finally allow to dry before polishing with a clean cloth.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Oh and you only need to seal if the tile manufacturer advises it - check with your tile supplier. It is very unusual for ceramic tiles to require sealing.

G

Gazzer

emulsify-white-550.jpg Available from Tradetiler

A

Aston

some good advice there!
buy a couple of cheap grouting floats from tradetiler when you are buying your emulsifying pads because you will probably ruin one of them along the way. use gloves and do about a meter at a time so that you can stay in control...

best of luck

N

newtile

Thanks for all replies.

Andy8758, Thanks for your very detailed reply. When you say mix all in one go, if I need say 6kg and I buy 3x2KG is it ok to mix 2kg at a time? And after I have grouted can I start the cleaning
Process straight away?

Sir Ramic thanks for the picture, it helps, when you have so many things to think of.

phil

D

DHTiling

Make sure the water is fairly warm to hot when washing off, this will aid in the grout removal from the tile surface..

Reaction score
Thanks for all replies.

Andy8758, Thanks for your very detailed reply. When you say mix all in one go, if I need say 6kg and I buy 3x2KG is it ok to mix 2kg at a time? And after I have grouted can I start the cleaning
Process straight away?

Sir Ramic thanks for the picture, it helps, when you have so many things to think of.

phil

Work out how much grout you will need, I recommend adding 20% to manufacturers recommendations if you have not used epoxy before. How much area you can cover in 30 minutes depends on how quick you are - most of us know how many meters of grout we can apply in an hour (roughly) but if you have not done this before, buy the smallest pots you can - certainly no more than 2 kg in size, and yes, buy several pots to cover area as necessary.

You should decide when to start cleaning according to how the grout is setting - most of us look for the excess grout on the tile to "haze dry" before cleaning. However epoxy is a little different, but generally, allow at least 5 minutes between application and cleaning, although if you apply the grout for 10 minutes, then clean, then another 10 minutes and clean, that is pretty much your pot life used up.

Reply to Epoxy Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen