Discuss Epoxy Grout on a Heated screed / Under floor heating in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

Can you use expoxy grout over a heated screed or an under floor heating system?

YES YOU CAN.

Mapei, Ardex, BAL , Tilemaster, Mapei and Weber all say there is absolutely no problem in this procedure.

There are a few guide line to follow when doing this:

1. Make sure the screed has been commissioned prior to grouting.
2. Turn off the heating for approx 48 to allow the screed to cool to normal room temperature.
3. Now you can being grouting.
4. After you have completed the grouting, leave the heating off for between 3-7 days.
5. Finally, after this period of time, you can turn the heating back on BUT only turn it up by a couple of degree's per day to prevent any issues occurring.

Below are the technical helplines for the above companies:

Mapei - 0121 508 6970
Weber - 0870 333 0070
Tilemaster - 0845 208 0040
BAL - 01782 591100
Ardex - 01440 714 939

Ps All members, please use this thread to add any new tech tel numbers, updates or procedures.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Who thought you couldn't? Epoxy is specified for all sorts of scenarios where cement-based isn't going to cut the mustard. It's vibration proof, chemical proof, flexible etc etc

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Behave lol

I have used thousands of meters of Bal easypoxy, let alone this new easy stuff.

Used to teach a whole course on natural stone and epoxy resins (which can also be used as an adhesive so perhaps don't earn the term grout).

Wind your neck back in.

L

LM

I think Antonio was being sarcastic in your favour lol, in that you were straight out of the blocks and agreeing with his point earlier from a different thread and your title says your 'Not a tiler' ;)

I

Italy

I think Antonio was being sarcastic in your favour lol, in that you were straight out of the blocks and agreeing with his point earlier from a different thread and your title says your 'Not a tiler' [/ quote];)
exact pocket translate ;)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
That's fair enough I hope he saw I wasn't being to the point myself. I did "lol" in the post.

But come on lads. Read the bloody data sheets for the stuff it could be used to stick spiderman to a train if he needed to stop one and ran out of webbing.

A

Aston

I was always under the impression that expoxy resin didn't have much 'give' in it so, it could pose problems regarding the 'expanding and contracting' of a heated screed.

I covered it doing my Btech in construction and I have also used it as a repair system in cracked walls with steel reinforcement bar prior to rendering.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Epoxy sticks to anything and won't come off it. Hence sponges being one-time-only affairs. If you have two tiles held together at the ends with dry (cured, it's a chemical reaction) epoxy and then bend the tiles, the tiles will snap, not the epoxy.

S

Spud

Epoxy isn't Flexible it's brittle , super hard it may well be able to be used on heated screeds but it wouldn't be recommended for use over timber substrates

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thought it wouldn't be affected by flexibility though? Is that just because it's super strong?

O

One Day

Guys, all epoxies aren't equal. Like everything else they can be modified. I've found kerapoxy and cq to be quite flexible actually.

A

Aston

Guys, all epoxies aren't equal. Like everything else they can be modified. I've found kerapoxy and cq to be quite flexible actually.

@impish
yes, epoxy resins can be modified, that's why they are now easier to use now compared to years back when they used to be dreaded by tilers BUT when you modify a product, you have to be careful that you get the balance right because you could gain in one area but lose in another.

@nobody in particular
, ''Just for reference''

Kerapoxy is still very rigid when cured so it will not expand and contract in the same way a 'polymer modified cement' grout would so, yes you can use epoxy grout for a host of reasons mentioned by Dan BUT where flexibility and movement is an issue, maybe there's other ways to go...Epoxy solves some things but not everything.

so, if you are grouting a heated screed, find out you priority and go with the option that' suits the criteria.

Reply to Epoxy Grout on a Heated screed / Under floor heating in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay