Discuss Electrical sockets not meeting tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Scouser1968

Hi all. I've recently torn out and replaced an old kitchen.
When we came to tile the walls to our horror we realised all the electrical sockets were too proud by about 10mm to meet the new tiles of which were a lot thinner than the old ones.
We already have the thinnest back boxes we could have of which are already fastened to the brick so without a lot of work we can't really sink them any further.
My question is, has anybody any ideas how we could resolve this problem?

Reaction score
You could board your walls before Tiling.
It will leave a gap at the top of the tiles (if you are Tiling to cupboard level) but you could put a thicker feature tile on top or a quadrant to suit.

B

Blunt Tool

If it was me I would take wall units off overboard with plasterboard entire wall, wall units back up and brand new wall to tile and decorate and sockets no problem

B

Blunt Tool

Prefer to whip up plasterboard to digging holes in bricks thru a small hole! How long is that going to take and what are you going to loosen!

D

Dumbo

It's not just board thou is it . Remove refit wall unit may involve undercupboard lights plus extractor fan . What about base units if they are not full length of the room . You cutting around those or are you removing them . Again remove refit may involve plumbing .

B

Blunt Tool

Do it once do it right imo wouldn’t be hacking away at brickwork which god knows what could be the consequences. If you can’t already get a shallow electric box in then obviously not framed out enough in first place.

B

Bill

Do it once do it right imo wouldn’t be hacking away at brickwork which god knows what could be the consequences. If you can’t already get a shallow electric box in then obviously not framed out enough in first place.
But all brickwork/blockwork gets chased out for leccy boxes..... this is no different.

Reply to Electrical sockets not meeting tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks