Search the forum,

Discuss Efflorescence problem on black grout in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Please Do not use cement away , this is an exterior only product -hydrochloric acid will cause you much more problems than grey black grout. I would stay away from anything acidic, as This can also whiten the resin in an aglomerate tile. You could test a light alkaline product , we have power clean ( others makes avalible ) and a white pad , as Julian , you will be lucky to get this back. Have you had a test scrape, is the black colour under the surface, if not - cleaning won't help here.
Could you use a grout revival product on it, other than rake it out

Reaction score
Hi Craig,
Efflorescence on the surface of the grout
Joints can be more of a problem with non porous tiles as adhesives and grout have longer drying times. I think the tiles you mention may be a composite (Stone resin) did they have a fibre glass resin smell when cut on the wetsaw? Have had before and it does clear with time and wiping down (the adhesive may still not be fully cured) would avoid any acids or strong chemicals just yet, would advise testing on a off cut first. As a last resort Mapei do a colourant, but have not used myself. Hope this helps.
James.

C

Craig Blick

Hi Craig,
Efflorescence on the surface of the grout
Joints can be more of a problem with non porous tiles as adhesives and grout have longer drying times. I think the tiles you mention may be a composite (Stone resin) did they have a fibre glass resin smell when cut on the wetsaw? Have had before and it does clear with time and wiping down (the adhesive may still not be fully cured) would avoid any acids or strong chemicals just yet, would advise testing on a off cut first. As a last resort Mapei do a colourant, but have not used myself. Hope this helps.
James.
Thanks for reply james I'll give the colourant a go as rather not ruin tiles, yeah they did have that kind of resin smell when cut do ill avoid acid for now cheers

C

Craig Blick

Please Do not use cement away , this is an exterior only product -hydrochloric acid will cause you much more problems than grey black grout. I would stay away from anything acidic, as This can also whiten the resin in an aglomerate tile. You could test a light alkaline product , we have power clean ( others makes avalible ) and a white pad , as Julian , you will be lucky to get this back. Have you had a test scrape, is the black colour under the surface, if not - cleaning won't help here.
Could you use a grout revival product on it, other than rake it out
Hi could you recommend the best product you offer for this problem? Cheers

Reply to Efflorescence problem on black grout in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen