Search the forum,

Discuss Edge finishing advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

golfer1047

Hi,
I have just added a shower to the downstairs loo, but in doing so I have had to line the shower tray area walls with plasterboard. I have 2 walls which now have a plasterboard edge which needs "finishing"
The walls are to be tiled with white 20 x 25 tiles, and so I will have an approx 13mm "step" vertically up both walls where the plasterboard finishes.
This coincides with the shower tray edge, and I will be fitting a shower door when the tilings finished.

What would you advise as the best way to cover/finish off the vertical tile edge.

P

paul flight

i would trim the edge with a chrome square edge trim 9/10mm .But before you go that far you may like to remove the plasterboard and replace with aqua board or hardie backer board . could save you a lot of stress in the long run . as plasterboard is not water proof and you only need a pin hole for water to get to the bakling board. we have to repair or retile so many shower areas where builders have used plasterboard and it has failed within a few years..

G

golfer1047

Thanks Paul, should have said I used Aqua board. or its french equivalent ( I am in France). I'll have a look at the edge strip you suggest. I presume I'll be able to vue it on the Topps Tiles site?

G

golfer1047

Paul,
I have just looked at the edge strip you suggest. I presume that covers the edge of the tile that will sit on the aquaboard. There would still be a small part of the edge of the aquaboard visible I think.
On looking at Topps tiles site, I saw an "Internal Cove" Item No. was 650043 ( White ) would that sit under the tile on the wall, and then cover both the edge of the board AND the edge of the tile on the board, or maybe a combination of the 2 ??

G

golfer1047

Paul,
I've had a look at the edgeing you suggest ......... I presume that would cover the edge of the tile on the aquaboard, but I think it would still allow part of the edge of the board to show.......... or am I wrong ??
I have seen the "Internal Cove" edging Item No 650043 on Topps site ....... would this do the job ? or maybe a combination of the 2 ?? I don't know as I have never seen that before.
Thanks in advance.

B

bugs183

Send us a photo of the shower and mark with a pencil where you want the edge of the tile to go, i'm sure the fellas here will be able to help.

G

golfer1047

Better descrition of area ................ camera on the blink at the moment.
The loo was situated at the end of a 4 meter long corridor. I have blocked off the corridor, created a new doorway into it from the side, and have installed a shower tray in the newly closed end of the corridor.
The distance between the walls was too large for the tray, so I stuck aquaboard onto the 2 side walls, to narrow the corridor to the width of the shower tray.
The existing walls are brick, and plaster ( awful french stuff !! )

The problem is that the whole of the walls are to be tiled and there is a ridge/step where the board finishes.

Hope that better descrition helps ?

G

golfer1047

Quick fix for camera.
Photo hopefully
J51 (Medium).jpg

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
uPVC quadrant beading? or an "L" shaped plastic bead? Both can be fixed in place after you have tiled to the edge of the board. Being a plastic mould and solid all the way through they can be shaved, trimmed or sanded to fit neatly.

G

golfer1047

Aligage,

thanks for the help ................. seems a good solution. I presume you fix it with silicone ??

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I would use silicone or a similar type of sealant. It will protect the board edge from any damp as well or water ingress. But i suppose you could stick it with your tile adhesive.

Reply to Edge finishing advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen