Search the forum,

Discuss Dot & dabbing tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Just had a tiler do some tiling on a job for me.. I was not on this job when he started so got there at the end of the day, he came recommend. This is what I found. He started to tile on wall opposite the bath due to mapei gum still wet. Did not batton out any horizontal datum line, I noticed there would have been approx between 10 /12 mm mastic gap between tile & top of bath edge. So quite a big mastic joint. Noticed that he did not use any spacers on vertical lines so they where not that true either. His ryobi hand held mixer had more adhesive gone hard on the blade than was probably used on the wall, mapei keraquik rapid set flexible. Picture will be added later. Obviously got quite suspicious and disappointed. Did a bit of tapping looking for trap doors & noticed a lot of echoing coming back of tiles, pulled a couple off and low and behold the guy had been loading it on with a shovel!!! He used approx 2 x 20 kg bags on a wall 2metersx2.4meters high that was reasonably level. The tiles are 300x600 porcelain tiles so not the lightest. Had to tell him to not come back. Prob is? Do you think that adhesive can be taken off the back of them tiles if they can be prised off or shall I scrap them? And is there a decent tiler that wants a good working companionship with a small family plumbing business in the Bromley area?? Usual tiler has given up due to illness.
Hope you can advise...!!???

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Go at them asap see what happens. It can't carry on like that so whatever you salvage is a bonus. But it sounds like it might be in the bin for those tiles maybe.

O

Old Mod

I've removed bagged addy off of porc's before, involved a grinder, vanity blade and a shed load of dust.
In this case I had no choice, we had to salvage the tiles.
But it's quite time consuming, so u'd probably have to try a couple and weigh up time involved against cost of replacement.

Reaction score
Thanks for your prompt replies, think I'm going to get them off the wall and bin them, I will try to put up pictures, still

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Dot & dabbing tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen