Discuss Dot & Dab (how much to remove) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Romelee

TF
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just removed the plaster boards from my walls as i could not remove the tiles without damaging the plaster board.

I am now left with lots of dot & dabs, do i have to completely remove the old dot & dabs or can i just remove the thickest parts of it.

I will be dot & dabbing next to the old ones where the wall is bare/smooth and then putting new plaster boards up.

p.s The hammer and Chisel is killing my arm:eek:

All the best

Jay

W

Waluigi

1-2mm? Leave that on, it’ll be fine.

Get yourself a decent straight edge and level and watch both the British gypsum and Siniat video on how to properly dot and dab. You actually need a continuous line of ‘dots’ at the top and bottom and any board intersections. Most work I’ve seen, people don’t bother.

Romelee

TF
Reaction score
1-2mm? Leave that on, it’ll be fine.

Get yourself a decent straight edge and level and watch both the British gypsum and Siniat video on how to properly dot and dab. You actually need a continuous line of ‘dots’ at the top and bottom and any board intersections. Most work I’ve seen, people don’t bother.

Thanks for the tips, been looking online for straight edge tool but all i keep seeing is feather edge tool, can this be used?

Jay

Q

Qwerty

Thanks for the tips, been looking online for straight edge tool but all i keep seeing is feather edge tool, can this be used?

Jay

Yes, or just use a spirit level. I have an old 1800 Stabila I use for dry lining

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

Jay

Yeah, or just a straight length of 3x2 CLS. :)

T

Time's Ran Out

Tiles at 27x50 if they are ceramic may be ok for plasterboard ( if it’s not skimmed) - check weight of tiles first.

Reply to Dot & Dab (how much to remove) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks