Search the forum,

Discuss Dot and Dab Plasterboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

ruairi mac

Hi Folks,

Just have a question I was hoping someone could help me out on. I've read a few posts that have mentioned dot and dab plaster boarding to straighten walls. This is something I have never seen being done or even mentioned on any job or site I've been on.

I have seen it done in some of those DIY shows before but as far as I remember the boards were only ever skimmed over and not tiled on. It seems to be common practice with some of you guys how ever as I said it's something I haven't come across.

Could some one give me a few pointers on how it's done? prep before hand, when not to use this method etc. I'm sure there is a video on youtube some where but then again I've seen some of the How To Tile videos on there. LOL

W

White Room

To start with any loose material needs to be removed from the wall and preferably back to the brick/block wall. If you do decide to overboard an existing wall then a purpose made sealant Gyproc Sealant should be used rather than dabs of dri wall adhesive.

You might want to check BG's website as well Literature

R

ruairi mac

This might sound stupid but if you go to the trouble of stripping a wall right back to block work would it not be best to just scratch a coat of sand and cement on to it? Is it a time issue thing?

D

DGJ

I was going to suggest looking at YouTube, but then remembered there's a lot of Tommy Walsh clips on that site!? :yikes:

W

White Room

This might sound stupid but if you go to the trouble of stripping a wall right back to block work would it not be best to just scratch a coat of sand and cement on to it? Is it a time issue thing?

I find it's quicker to board out, if you sand/cement then a drying time is required for the render.

A scratch coat is a first coat and then a second coat of render will be required.

Reply to Dot and Dab Plasterboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen