Currently reading:
Dot and dab - hope you can help

Discuss Dot and dab - hope you can help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Y

yjag

Good afternoon all.

Hope you can help with a dot n dab query we have. We are plasterboarding a downstairs loo but due to the small size would prefer to dot n dab rather than batten (is that how you spell it?). The plasterboard is only to to go on a wall but it is the wall where the sink will be. Should the plasterboard be treated with something water resistant before sticking up? The wall will be tiled afterwards.

Many thanks
Yvonne

F

Fekin

No, just dot and dab the plasterboard onto the walls, you could always screw it too if your using large heavier tiles, then you can tile away as it is, but some will recommend priming the boards first with acrylic primer, you just paint it on with a roller.
The tile adhesive to be used in a bathroom should be water resistant like Bal Bluestar, or Bal Whitestar if tiling in a power shower area.

Whitestar is widely regarded as one of the best, if not the best tubbed ready mixed adhesive for bathrooms.

But then, if your using heavy large format tiles you need to use a cement based powdered adhesive to get more bonding stick for the heavier tiles, if your using them.

M

moggy

No, just dot and dab the plasterboard onto the walls, you could always screw it too if your using large heavier tiles,...
But then, if your using heavy large format tiles you need to use a cement based powdered adhesive to get more bonding stick for the heavier tiles, if your using them.

Hi Fekin (and others),

2 questions with reference to the above-
1, Do I need the moisture resistant plasterboard? or will the regular one be ok as long as I use a waterproof adhesive and grout?

2, you mention using a cement based powdered adhesive- what weight/ size tiles should I start using these? Any suggestions on the best cement based powdered adhesive?

Thanks!
Moggy

Hi Fekin (and others),

2 questions with reference to the above-
1, Do I need the moisture resistant plasterboard? or will the regular one be ok as long as I use a waterproof adhesive and grout?

2, you mention using a cement based powdered adhesive- what weight/ size tiles should I start using these? Any suggestions on the best cement based powdered adhesive?

Thanks!
Moggy

Hello Moggy,
1, normal plasterboard will be fine, you could use moisture res if you so wish.
2, 200x300 ceramic is my limit for tubbed adhesive, any bigger it's cement based, saying that I only use cement based

Mark.

D

doug boardley

Good afternoon all.

Hope you can help with a dot n dab query we have. We are plasterboarding a downstairs loo but due to the small size would prefer to dot n dab rather than batten (is that how you spell it?). The plasterboard is only to to go on a wall but it is the wall where the sink will be. Should the plasterboard be treated with something water resistant before sticking up? The wall will be tiled afterwards.

Many thanks
Yvonne
you can use moisture resistant plasterboard (green),personally I would batten and use marine quality plywood,
hope this helps!
bonny tiler

Reply to Dot and dab - hope you can help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.