Search the forum,

Discuss Does my tile look big in this? (newbie layout query) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gspot

lol, you lot...

Yeah, 18mm all round, with WBP stamp. Screwed around 150mm centres, stainless steel. :)

They don't do this colour in a 450 square tile, which I think might be the ideal size for me... bigger than 'bitty' but maybe not quite as mahoosive as 600 square...

If I tell Maggie she needs an expansion joint, she'll get an expansion joint! If I can do without it, by installing Ditra mat etc. then I'd prefer without.

D

diamondtiling

Did you apply any sealers to the ply before laying? The underside and edges should be sealed.

G

gspot

Edges sealed with PVA glue, underside not treated (will my world implode ? I thought this wasn't needed with WBP?) - the concrete foundation underneath is some 450mm from the top of the joists, and there is polystyrene insulation underneath the ply. Well ventilated, doesn't seem damp.

D

diamondtiling

Edges sealed with PVA glue, underside not treated (will my world implode ? I thought this wasn't needed with WBP?) - the concrete foundation underneath is some 450mm from the top of the joists, and there is polystyrene insulation underneath the ply. Well ventilated, doesn't seem damp.

Why would your world implode??
Advice is given freely to all askers by tilers that give up their free time to help. If you have such a big gap beneath your floor then its advisable to apply a coat of bond to stop the boards from curling.
As for using PVA for the edges, that was a mistake, you should have left a small 2mm gap for expansion purposes.

G

gspot

Humour, diamond, 'tis all. I was just wondering how important sealing the underside of WBP was to ensure a successful outcome. I thought as they were exterior grade/weatherproof they wouldn't be affected by humidity.

B

Bolter

With the other question, personally, I would use ditra on the ply flooring, and an expansion joint along the two substrates.

If you don't know, you need a flexible floor adhesive and grout. The floor adhesive must be trowelled (notched) down to ensure as close to 100% coverage of adhesive is underneath the tile.

Use a decent, tilersforum reccomended adhesive. If you get some from a DIY giant, it may not be quite fit for purpose, so be careful. If you arent sure, just ask.

G

gspot

Interesting about the underside. Had never thought of this.

Is there one particular expansion joint technique/product that is particularly suited for residential use (ie. non obtrusive, ideally as close to a 3 or 4mm dark grey grout as is possible?

I know about needing a flexible adhesive/grout, thanks, but will make sure it's suitable for the tiles and substrate first.

Cheers.

Any comment on the initial layout question anyone ? (ie. positioning wrt oven, door etc. - I take it it would be visually nicer to position a whole tile in front of the oven than hitting a grout line to the centre ?

Reply to Does my tile look big in this? (newbie layout query) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen