Search the forum,

Discuss ditra over chipboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Protilers

I have a question......knowing what we know about chipboard.....why is it still being used in tiling installs?...... Chipboard, MDF.....is no good.....and IMO covering it in anything else is just "masking" the problem......if water penetrates, as it WILL if there is a leak from a dishwasher etc (or in this case the cleaner spills her bucket of water!)....... the chipboard/MDF will "blow" .. passing by the moisture resistant "hardibacker" OR the Waterproof "marmox/wedi etc"........it does not matter...... the problem is the "Chipboard".......IMO..... just a thought!

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Protilers

I know what you mean Dave......and I understand!...and in that situation I would proberbly cut the chipboard back to the feet of the kitchen, then I would install noggins that "should" have been there...
(and you and I both know they are not!)...then install a similar (same) sized ply board.....then I would Tank the joins overlapping the chipboard as much as humanly possible.......then either install ditra, hardi, wedi or marmox.......

but all this aside..... my point was more related to why are peeps putting in chipboard on floors they "know" are going to be tiled......(like kitchens and bathrooms!) and the answer is......
Because its CHEAP......and the tiler will get over it......until there is a problem..........and then its the tilers fault!............as in you and me!!!!

heheheehehehheheeeee

all the best mate

Lee

Reply to ditra over chipboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

Birthdays