Search the forum,

Discuss Delays due to lack of lorry drivers causing any delays in your work? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
10% of U.K. lorry fleet stood down due to lack of drivers. Hanson cement drivers to vote on strike action over pay having rejected a reasonably generous offer. Concrete orders delayed and chaotic due to lack of drivers. It’s a nightmare. Add to that the spiralling costs of shipping into the UK from Europe and the Med and I reckon it’ll end in tears.

Reaction score
To be honest I've never experienced any shortages of adhesives, backer boards or any tiling materials in general. Which has been fortunate. Know sheet timber prices are pretty high at the moment so won't be rushing to use OSB to cover baths and shower trays. 😅

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
The 45 square metre of tiles I had prepped everything for and were supposed to turn up today from Topps, didn't. No guarantee of when they will either. They cant get them into the country apparently (The Everscape outdoor 20mm pocleain 600 x 600's). Bit irritating, but the client understands. First major issue ive really had.

When the cement was all running out, I did buy a pallet of it. That also reduced the price to £9 a bag and I have plenty of storage space, so when I'm almost through this pallet, I'll be ordering another one regardless of shortages or not. Also, as I'm well booked up, I've started to contact the other jobs which are booked in to make sure they have their tiles ordered well in advance! Everything up until December already have their tiles. Just a shame these guys didnt have them delivered early and stored, but we didnt realise at the time that this situation would unfold.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Removed a couple of offensive posts by a user who signed up under a new account after deleting their old one lol Can't stay away can they. :D

Reaction score
CTD near me were out of Hardibacker so I tried the Bal board, preferred it for ease but don't know why it's only 600 wide. I guess maybe to keep the cost down and compete directly with Hardi. I think it's that much lighter to carry and quicker to cut and drill that I'd probably pay the difference if it was wider.

Anyway off point but these problems are quite obviously caused by Brexit and exacerbated by Covid. Didn't go down very well in CTD when I pointed that out and doubt it'll be a very popular opinion in the construction world.

N

Nic Haysey

It has had an impact, internal doors, particularly bespoke items- have had big delays, stock levels on all sorts of items such as kitchen fittings, sheet wood as you guys have mentioned, kitchen appliances with no real lead times, which has a knock on effect on project deliverables which then puts the next project out and the next.
Hoping things will start to ease and settle down over the next few months as we all figure out the new normal.
Hey ho, we'd be bored without a challenge to overcome here and there 😆.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I had been pre-warned of price hikes due to transport costs going up…….by my local supplier…..but as yet, nothing. Although they did have trouble getting a delivery of adhesive…….but had put some away for me ;)

B

Ben Tiler

Yes, definitely. I buy all my gear from a local company (who ships all over) called Rocatex, they manufacture their own products and the issues with stock have been crazy. At one point they couldn’t get bags printed so we’re just getting given plain white bags of adhesive 😂
I feel sorry for these companies it must be stressful!

L

Louiss

Maybe all need stock up a bit on things like that. And fixings and things that go along with it.

I think it'll get a lot worse before it gets better.
Sorry but this is also why there is such shortages on the shelves in merchants because people are panic buying all the materials whereas if we all just bought the materials we need maybe 2 weeks in advance then stock would be lasting for everyone

Reply to Delays due to lack of lorry drivers causing any delays in your work? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen