Search the forum,

Discuss Cut 4cm off bottom row of wall tiles to get full tile under sill? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gross Loydman

Hello tilers

Just about to do some boxing in of my toilet and trying to make sure I get the measurements right so the tiling looks 'correct'... I'm using 30x40cm wall tiles ('landscape' orientation) with a border resting on the sill, but if I start tiling full tile from the floor, the border will be about 4cm above the sill, which I'd like to avoid if possible. So instead of that, can I take 4cm off the bottom row of wall tiles to make it a full tile under the sill with the border sitting on top of it (this way would also work better for the boxing of the soil pipe behind the toilet since it would be 2 full tiles from the top of the boxing to the bottom of the sill)?

Hope you get what I mean - basically will it look odd taking 4cm off the bottom row of 30cm high wall tiles?

Thanks in advance for any advice, GL

Y

YourTiler

Always have a cut to the floor in case of variation in floor....
Do all your other lines line up with window, door etc?
Wanting a border to land where you want it to can sometimes affect other lines

I

Ian

As Yourtiler says, always have a cut to the floot incase the floor isn't level. One of the golden rules of tiling is, never come off the floor or out of a corner with a whole tile, you can never be sure how 'true' the wall/floor is. Same rule with over a bath

G

Gross Loydman

Thanks for the replies folks, sounds like I'll be OK then. :thumbsup:

Good point about a cut tile to the floor almost being a necessity - I hadn't really thought of it in that way. I wouldn't have worked blithely from the floor up though, don't worry! (batten for the first row up then do the floor row last, isn't that the drill?) I just wanted to confirm that the bottom row doesn't have to be a 'full' (minus any discrepancies of an out of true floor) tile to look right.

The setting out of the toilet and bathroom should be fine then... the mosaic will sit on top of the sill, full tile over the bath, just over 1/3 a tile at the top of the reveal, 2/3 a tile at the ceiling, lovely!

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be back... :smilewinkgrin:

Reply to Cut 4cm off bottom row of wall tiles to get full tile under sill? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen