Search the forum,

Discuss Curved-edge tiles for windowsills &c? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Proper Job

sammy c yes i'm talking about full tiles here that are for corners and the bull nose form

S

sammyc

ok I see thanks. Still can't imagine why these have become a 'rarity' - seems v. illogical. In my case it looks like a classic case of should have done my homework before I started.... :grin: sam.

U

user123

You're probably sorted by now, sammy, but my husband and I had been looking for the exact same thing in the past to no avail, I agree with you, progress gone mad....and didn't know about this forum then....a gap in the market surely...? :yes:

D

Dad

I just had a nightmare with a job using HR Johnson RE and REX tiles. My client didn't want trims, so I ordered rounded edge tiles from Johnson's factory shop on back order. They arrived as planned, but when I came to fix them, I noticed that the rounded edge tiles were around 1mm to 1.5mm smaller than the plain tiles (on 200mm x 200mm tiles) this looked awful with the planned 3mm grout lines and I decided to abort the job. Johnson's have since told me that the size difference was due to the biscuits for the RE/REX tiles being made in Spain unlike those for he plain tiles. - and they were - quote: "within tolerance" Call me fussy, but I refuse to fit them and have sent the RE/REX's back and will be using trim (against my wishes):mad2:

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I'm not sure if i'm looking at this the right way or not!?! But if you have rounded edge tiles, for a nicer finish on the outer edge, would the cut not look a bit crap on the inside? Or do you have to find a way to compensate for this when setting out?

U

user123

I'm not sure if i'm looking at this the right way or not!?! But if you have rounded edge tiles, for a nicer finish on the outer edge, would the cut not look a bit crap on the inside? Or do you have to find a way to compensate for this when setting out?

To my understanding you would just tile from the edge towards the window, i.e starting with the (by now almost fictitious) beautifully rounded edge tiles. I have seen some of this in old victorian tiled buildings, rich colours, smooth edges, beautiful craftmanship, and the odd bubble in the thick glaze just adds to the authentic look.... yes, I've been a bit of a tile weirdo for a while...:lol:

A bit outside the subject of the thread, but I find it a bit sad, all this globalisation of taste, where we are all supposed to like the same interiors, same colours, same tiles in every new build in every country.....bladibla...am I the only one? :huh2:

U

user123

Call me fussy, but I refuse to fit them and have sent the RE/REX's back and will be using trim (against my wishes):mad2:
Well good on you, Dad (?) for caring so much, I think that's just fab.:thumbsup:

J

johnplum

Yeah it's logical Sammy - the tile manufacturer's are greedy lazy global corporations. You get what they give you, not what you want.

Reply to Curved-edge tiles for windowsills &c? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen