Search the forum,

Discuss Crap tiler - uneven walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

crimond

Our tiler made a complete mess of our kitchen last week, when I asked him how he would rectify the problems (chipped tiles etc) he walked out, refusing to finish the job.

I removed the tiles on Saturday, thankfully the adhesive had yet to set (despite the tiles being on for four days) so the tiles pretty much lifted off.

The wall beneath is not bad but is a little uneven in places. I could get it skimmed but don't want to wait the time it takes for this to dry prior to tiling. So I was thinking of lining the wall with 3mm ply on battens to remove the unevenness.

Does this sound ok to do? Any advice would be appreciated as I intend to do the tiling myself now and want to make it as easy as possible.

(The tiler said he would get rid of any unevenness in the walls with additional adhesive however he just tiled as if the walls were perfectly flush so you can imagine the result.)

G

GazTech

if you want to line the walls then use backerboards not ply...it is more stable...if the walls are flat then simply tile them.....Gaz

D

DHTiling

you could skim the walls flat with rapid set to get them flat this will be better than building out the walls with boards in any area's that have exposed edges.......dave..

Last edited by a moderator:
B

brummie tiler

dh, spot on again, where would we be without u! that is what i would do, rapid dries quickly and saves building the walls out any further than they need to be

NickH

TF
Reaction score
The trouble with skimming out with rapid set is that if you end up with "bumps", the stuff will be rock hard before you realise what you've done. If your walls aren't too bad then I think your better to tile straight on with rapid set building up locally as needed and taking your time to get it flat as you go. I've done it that way many times with no probs and if you do use rapid you will be able to grout same day.

D

DHTiling

The trouble with skimming out with rapid set is that if you end up with "bumps", the stuff will be rock hard before you realise what you've done. If your walls aren't too bad then I think your better to tile straight on with rapid set building up locally as needed and taking your time to get it flat as you go. I've done it that way many times with no probs and if you do use rapid you will be able to grout same day.

if you keep checking walls with small straight edge then you can get them flat as you skim and before it sets.............dave...:)

F

Fred

I'd go for powder gear and go upto an 8mm trowel, saves the messing with boarding etc...........

C

crimond

Sorry, but I'm a tiling novice. Do you have any links to the rapid set product and also powder gear?

cheers

Reply to Crap tiler - uneven walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen