Search the forum,

Discuss Cracked Porcelain floor tile potential stress fracture in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
I purchased porcelain floor tiles 900×900mm while setting out the tiler and noticed a slight line in the edge of a tile. Laying it on a flat surface he tapped the tile gently on the line and it cracked. The tiler believes this to be a stress fracture from the manufacturing process. Which is due to the crack having 2 different textures, going from smooth to rough. Having tap tested other tiles they believe other tiles have the same issue so does not want to lay them. The tile supplier disagrees but isn't able to provide a reason in writing for the differing textures. Has anyone else experienced this issue, or able to provide a view on why the tile has cracked in this way. Attached is a picture of the crack

Many Thanks
IMG-20210302-WA0005.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, would a transit fracture cause the difference textures along the break? The tiler tap tested a number of different tiles and could hear differences in frequencies across the tiles, so is not confident of the entire batch. They are to be laid over underfloor heating so we are weary of having the floor tiled and then they all crack when the heating is turned on.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, would a transit fracture cause the difference textures along the break? The tiler tap tested a number of different tiles and could hear differences in frequencies across the tiles, so is not confident of the entire batch. They are to be laid over underfloor heating so we are weary of having the floor tiled and then they all crack when the heating is turned on.
The difference could be the rougher section was a break/fault in manufacturing and then the tap cleanly broke from that. Sometimes tiles can have faults from the firing process and this usually a tile here and there , not the whole batch. It’s pure guess work to be honest without fully inspecting the tiles. Check edges of the tiles and look for fault lines etc. I have never seen or heard of a full batch being faulty though .

Reply to Cracked Porcelain floor tile potential stress fracture in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen