Discuss Crack in newly fitted travertine tile. What would cause this? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Tiling nightmare continues...

These were fixed at the start of the month and in the last few days this crack has appeared. I think a crack (or two) might be appearing in the tile above too.

We're not in a good place with this. I've no confidence in our tiler's ability (see previous thread) and I doubt he has insurance. We haven't paid him fully for the job yet because he messed up the layout and is supposed to be back in a couple of weeks to replace 28 of the tiles.

Any suggestions as to the cause?
IMG_6864.JPG
IMG_6865.JPG

Reaction score
Reaction score
Forgot to say that the tile that is cracked was fitted to replace a tile that had been badly cut around the shower tray. I'm not sure if that could be a factor.

Reaction score
So perhaps not his fault? It is very close to a joint in the board (tile backer board fixed to masonry). I've looked again at it today and I'm pretty sure the tile above it is cracking too. You can see better in this photo taken in daylight:
IMG_6868.JPG
That one, the cracked one and one next to it to the right also sound hollow.

I know the adhesive he used here wasn't marked suitable for natural stone. I know that there are gaps in the adhesive (it isn't dot and dab he just applies it sparingly) and that he didn't butter the tiles with adhesive. It's also a 2mm grout gap which I read was too small for natural stone.
I don't know whether to get him back to fix this and pay him the rest of what we owe him or tell him not to bother coming back on the basis that it looks like he has messed things up so badly they're all going to crack and fall off.

Reply to Crack in newly fitted travertine tile. What would cause this? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks