Discuss Compensation for a Poor Tiling Job in Kitchen? in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Chris101

4 Years ago we had the kitchen extended and due to substandard ground work (suspended floor, poor tiling, incorrect materials used), we have had to have our kitchen floor completely taken out and done a fresh.

We have a kitchen of around 40sqm2 surface space.

The new floor consists of concrete, insulation blocks, wet underfloor pipes, screed and our new rectified porceline tiles (tiles alone cost us £1500).

The company we appointed for the renovaton of our kitchen along with the kitchen floor this time around were aware of our previous issues and therefore gave us a lot of reassurances/gurantees and proimised they would get this right for us.

When the screed finally went down, ready for the tiling, it was obvious the floor was not level.
The contract we had mentioned we should of had a decoupling membrane put down prior to tiling.

When the tiler started the job, no membrane was put down initally and the builders on the previous day forgot to trun off the underfloor heating, so the floor was very hot when he laid 15 tiles down (these tiles were lifted and relaid the next day).
That evening we inspected the work and sraight away identified -
1. The floor was uneven
2. The tiles were unevenly laid (lips and grout lines)
3. The tiles had hollow sounds in them ( as he was not back buttering them)
4. The height of the floor was higher then our passage and therefore they needed to use a threshhold big enough and at an angle to get away with the small step into the kitchen (I specifically asked for no steps into our ktichen).

The tiler/PM was notified about the issues and while they put a membrane down and some SLC, the completed tiled floor still has the same issues.
Most of the floor runs at a 3mm-4mm gradiant...
There are also many chips on the tiles (16 tiles) as when he kicked off the leveling clips, they created small chips in the tiles...

C

Chris101

Due to these issues, initally the PM wanted to part ways without acknowldging the issues and he thought we was simply making a meal of things.
Since he has now visited the site, he has seen the issues and has sent us an email to compensate us £800 plus removing/replacing the tiles that have noticeable uneven lippage and grout lines (Is this posisble without damaging other tiles and the membrane?).
Do you all think this a good form of compensation?

We would request the whole floor gets redone but unfortunately our new kitchen is due to be fitted in by the kitchen company next week and we cannot have any more delays...

B

Blunt Tool

New thread same job! What do YOU want to hear as seems all advice given has been ignored over multiple threads!

C

Chris101

Advise was not ignored, as explained in the old thread.
The advise was passed onto the construction company but we still ended up in the same place.
I couldn't simply get rid of the construction company as many jobs were untaken by the same company...

I am now seeking advise as to if the compensation is acceptable or not?

T

Time's Ran Out

I doubt if anyone on this forum is qualified to loss adjust your issues on a few photos and your explanations.
Now I'am not saying you don't have a genuine grievance but everyone will have different standards, so unless you pay for an in depth report from the TTA, you'll just have to judge for yourself the value of their offer.
If your not sure then you have the option to go through the courts.

O

Old Mod

The value of any compensation can only be assessed by the person who is receiving it.
This is a very subjective area.
One mans trash is another mans treasure.
No one can really say whether or not it's satisfactory, only you can decide.
But I would guess, the fact that you're asking the question, it would imply that you're not happy.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have no idea why and I apologise for any offence but this thread has annoyed me... why should the builder replace the whole floor if only part is at fault. A floor running out of level by 3 to 4mm is generally acceptable under national standards. its not for this forum to decide if it is possible or not to remove some tiles without damaging others. that is for the builder to deal with. He may have a special removal system that guarantees no damage... What is your loss in all this. have you lost out financially or are you just looking for compo for the stress and anxiety, or do you just want a cheap floor... he has offered to fix the floor and give you £800 as well... OK It was too hot to tile when the UFH had been left on... those tiles were lifted and replaced...no complaint there then. that you specifically asked for no step to the kitchen is largely irrelevant if it turns out you are asking the unreasonable (I wont say impossible as enough money can solve most building problems but most client don't want to pay to fix the "impossible")

Only you can decide if it is sufficient compensation unless you go to court or arbitration where you might find the court decides the builder has done everything properly and awards you nothing...

Reply to Compensation for a Poor Tiling Job in Kitchen? in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks