Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Charcoal Grout in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

ttt tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all , grouting a 25m porcelain floor tomorrow , client wants charcoal grout , fair enough .
Problem is , last time I used charcoal , it went patchy (again).
Now I know what you're going to say , but would still appreciate any advice.
Was going to use bal superflex , has anybody managed to use bal charcoal without any problems , if so , how
Thanks in anticipation

S

Spud

Try grout 3000 mix it as stiff as possible and ring your sponges out as much as possible , let it dry fully before giving it a final clean down it helps with the patchiness

ttt tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks Gary , unfortunately stuck with bal , would Love to try grout 3000 but no distributors near me.
Was going to do it by the book and weigh out water and powder , single swipe of the sponge etc and keep fingers crossed

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks Gary , unfortunately stuck with bal , would Love to try grout 3000 but no distributors near me.
Was going to do it by the book and weigh out water and powder , single swipe of the sponge etc and keep fingers crossed
I tried the scientific approach with Mapei grout a couple of years ago. I brought in my kitchen scales and measured out exactly the right amount of grout. I put in the right amount of water and mixed it for the right amount of time. Still went streaky!

Now I ALWAYS mix it up stiff like Gary (sorry Gary that came out wrong!!).

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I always make the darker colours a little stiffer and don't have any problems. Just recently used Butech (I believe Mapei manufacture) and that was really good to work with, Anthracite and Tobacco solid colour throughout.

ttt tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I tried the scientific approach with Mapei grout a couple of years ago. I brought in my kitchen scales and measured out exactly the right amount of grout. I put in the right amount of water and mixed it for the right amount of time. Still went streaky!

Thanks Sean , funny how the manufacturer always gives a ratio where the grout is too wet , we all know water is the killer , so why don't they !
I hate these polymer grouts

bigdave1903

TF
Arms
Reaction score

And you're still isn't talking to you for wrecking her scales.:tearsofjoy:

F

Flintstone

I used grout 3000 charcoal last week to grout my hearth at home and i left it about 45 mins before wiping off. As said, mix it a little stiffer than normal and use minimal water, dried perfect, never had any problems with the grout 3000 streaking.

F

Flintstone

If it's a wide joint or it's taking forever to dry due to the porcelain, try putting some dry ontop and spread it all over the joints, will make it set nice.

Reply to Charcoal Grout in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks