Search the forum,

Discuss Chalky Residue from Tiling Help in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

poshprice

Hi all, having just had my kitchen and bathroom retiled, I'm finding it difficult to remove the chalky residue from my kitchen tiles. The bathroom ones are fine, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what to use to totally remove the chalky residue? The tiles I have had put in the kitchen are these white chapel gloss tiles:

https://www.wallsandfloors.co.uk/catrangetiles/wall-tiles/metro-brick-200/white-8397/13430/

I love them, but am afraid to use the wrong thing to clean them and risk making getting the chalky stuff off them even harder. I want them to be pristine, with no chalky traces at all.

Thanks in advance
Ceri :smilewinkgrin:

P

poshprice

I've tied taking some pics, but the residue doesn't show in them. When I run my fingers over the tiles a thick layer of chalk comes off. I was thinking of trying some washing up liquid and warm water.

R

Rookery

Try wiping over with a clean sponge and clean water then wipe over with a damp tea towel. If its been on a while you may have to use some cement residue remover. As others have said, the tiler should have polished off the tiles.

P

poshprice

Thanks all. Unfortunately my tiler told me that he would charge me for an extra day to come back and sort it out. I'm fed up with him, so to be perfectly honest I'd rather do it myself. I've ordered some haze residue remover and will have a go at using that.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Thanks all. Unfortunately my tiler told me that he would charge me for an extra day to come back and sort it out. I'm fed up with him, so to be perfectly honest I'd rather do it myself. I've ordered some haze residue remover and will have a go at using that.

Try / test the advice given by the guys first/ elbow grease with cloth / paper towel/ wet sponge, looking at the tile you have ,this should remove. If it wont remove, try a white emulsifying pad dry or with water.( you can get the pad from most tile shops)

As a last resort, use the haze/ residue remover, if you use your acidic based cleaner ,
wet the grout first with a sponge and water to minimise surface acidic Damage to the grout lines.
Test ,Work in sections heavily dilute ,test, use your white pad and rinse well.

Sure this will remove without the product,

T

Time's Ran Out

I'd name and shame him!

To add to the previous posts if you use any acidic cleaners protect any chrome and ventilate the room.

M

m3fitter

I'd name and shame him!

To add to the previous posts if you use any acidic cleaners protect any chrome and ventilate the room.

good call !!! one of my tilers, cleaned some porcelain slate look a like last xmas, as grout residue on them, the room had an unusual 6 niche alcoves, all trimmed with polished metal, the next day, they had corroded with surface rust !! took us plenty of wet&dry paper and hair lacquer to cure this problem !

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
good call !!! one of my tilers, cleaned some porcelain slate look a like last xmas, as grout residue on them, the room had an unusual 6 niche alcoves, all trimmed with polished metal, the next day, they had corroded with surface rust !! took us plenty of wet&dry paper and hair lacquer to cure this problem !

Always protect/ wrap your insitue metals and other, try to use removal products that are phosphoric acid based as these will not give off vapour that the hydrochlorics will as even the vapour can damage your trims, shower fittings lights!!!!

Yep me to, lol . spent 4 hours polishing a small fridge that oxidised.!!!

P

poshprice

Excellent advice, thank you all so much. I tried a bit of elbow grease first and the majority of haze seems to have come off now. Yay! There are some small, caked on bits though that are a bit more stubborn, but I will get one of the emulsifying pads mentioned and try that. Thanks again .

M

m3fitter

Excellent advice, thank you all so much. I tried a bit of elbow grease first and the majority of haze seems to have come off now. Yay! There are some small, caked on bits though that are a bit more stubborn, but I will get one of the emulsifying pads mentioned and try that. Thanks again .

Take advice from the tile shop, don't get some that are too abrasive and scratch it to buggery ! or try on a spare tile first

Reply to Chalky Residue from Tiling Help in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen