Search the forum,

Discuss Ceramic tiles in a shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

Somerset
Correct me if I am wrong. Most ceramics have a glazed surface - that is waterproof. Yes, water soaks back through grout if not epoxy, but I think Deano tested and found you had to soak grout for seven hours before water permeated through to sub strata. And of course, water soaking through grout can also cause biscuit back of tile to soak up water.

Porcelain is not waterproof. Virtually all porcelain sold these days is sealed by the factory manufacturing them, but some of the more upmarket tile retailers suggest resealing porcelain periodically.

Discuss? (My info is second hand).

H

hmtiling

Correct me if I am wrong. Most ceramics have a glazed surface - that is waterproof. Yes, water soaks back through grout if not epoxy, but I think Deano tested and found you had to soak grout for seven hours before water permeated through to sub strata. And of course, water soaking through grout can also cause biscuit back of tile to soak up water.

Porcelain is not waterproof. Virtually all porcelain sold these days is sealed by the factory manufacturing them, but some of the more upmarket tile retailers suggest resealing porcelain periodically.

Discuss? (My info is second hand).
I thought porcelain and epoxy had a very similar absorption rate of less than 0.5%. which i suppose means neither are waterproof? These amounts are definitely negligible though

O

One Day

Everyone and everything on this earth is made of atoms, there are 3 types, protons, neutrons and electrons so if we find out once and for all if any are bloody waterproof eureka we will find the one and only true answer, and tell the tile and adhesive manufacturers which one to use! :)

I thought Protons neutrons and electrons are constituent parts of atoms, not types of atoms themselves.
Then again, I'm just a tiler...

Somerset
I know most porcs have an extremely low absorption rate so don't soak up water (<0.5%) whereas ceramics soak up water like a sponge.

I will conduct an experiment this weekend to demonstrate!
Ah see, there are some uses for Bank Holiday weekends. If I can manage my iPad well enough I will post some tiling tool reviews to compensate for you giving up precious family time to scientifically add to this debate. :cool:

F

Flintstone

Ceramics soak up water on the back of the tile.
So unless you don't read the instructions and fix them glazed side down then I don't see a problem ....:)
What would your concerns be Andy?
My point being Andy , we tank walls because water gets past the tiles to the wall, which means, it will also get to the back of the tile and soak into a ceramic tile

O

One Day

My point being Andy , we tank walls because water gets past the tiles to the wall, which means, it will also get to the back of the tile and soak into a ceramic tile
Yes. If grouting is decent and fixing methods are decent then it will last twenty years under normal domestic use, two or three times a day.
Showers that are in use more, or loads more, need additional considerations. Ie tile choice, substrate choice, grout choice.
You put up cheap ceramics with tubbed adhesive onto bare plasterboard, then use the shower 20 times a day, it won't last.
Twice a day, good chance it will.

Reply to Ceramic tiles in a shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain. I took...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for cutting large format porc? Ive been relatively lucky up until recently and been able to cut most of...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays