Currently reading:
Can you backer board over standard toungue and groove floor boards?

Discuss Can you backer board over standard toungue and groove floor boards? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all, please bare with me as I am a plasterer by trade but quite handy round the house. I want to tile my hallway with some new slick white tiles and follow straight through into the kitchen. Now I have done this many years ago at my old place with ply wood base but have never used these backer boards that a lot of the guys on site at work are harping on about.

My question is, can you backer board directly over standard floor boards with flexible adhesive and screws ready for tile or would you need to ply first then backer board. Or even just ply. I seem to get so many mixed responses on this one so have come here for some accurate advice from people in the know.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks all.

Kevbos

Arms
London, UK
Please contribute to this thread if you have any new information or can even just reiterate what has been said already. :)
Hi all, please bare with me as I am a plasterer by trade but quite handy round the house. I want to tile my hallway with some new slick white tiles and follow straight through into the kitchen. Now I have done this many years ago at my old place with ply wood base but have never used these backer boards that a lot of the guys on site at work are harping on about.

My question is, can you backer board directly over standard floor boards with flexible adhesive and screws ready for tile or would you need to ply first then backer board. Or even just ply. I seem to get so many mixed responses on this one so have come here for some accurate advice from people in the know.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks all.
Alot of tilers love the backer boards !! I prefer using top grade ply well screwed on a bounce free floor !! Then use a decoupling membrane

Reply to Can you backer board over standard toungue and groove floor boards? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are tiling our kitchen with limestone tiles - we have already done it in the hallway and are carryin on through - The Hallway was floorboards so I used No more ply and this worked fine -...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views

Advertisement