Search the forum,

Discuss Business name suggestions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Paul Sh

My missus came up with mine, because everyone wants there Dream Home:martini_shaken:

A

alberttrotter1

Postie,
I was going to use "Alberts tiling" to be able to incorperate my current e-mail address "alberttrotter1", however the wife kindly pointed out that all i would need then is a yellow robin reliant and i could kiss my new career goodbye, so it became "ddbtiling" and just used my initials. Good luck.

M

Matty A

My initials are MCA & was gonna be called MC Tiling & Plumbing services but the girlfriend said y not use MA Tiling then the 1st 3 letters are your name MAT.

B

brian c

How about, TT-trotters tiling,nice and simple:wink_smile: or TT CERAMICS
----
ATC even better ALBERT TROTTER CERAMICS

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a lot of room for personal and professional creativity when choosing a business name, but there are three main considerations to keep in mind:
  • Will your business name receive trademark protection?
  • Is your proposed business name available?
  • If your business will have a website, is a similar domain name available?
Will Your Business Name Receive Trademark Protection?

Trademark law will prevent another business from using a name or logo that is likely to be confused with your business name if your business name is entitled to trademark protection. If your business is anything but a small, local, service, or retail business, such as a dry cleaners or a fabric store, you'll probably want to take advantage of this.
Trademarks Help Companies Market Products and Services

Any business name used to market and identify products or services is a trademark. For example, McDonald's uses its business name to market its hamburgers. But to qualify for trademark protection under the trademark laws, your business name should be what trademark law considers "distinctive." Distinctive Names Receive More Trademark Protection

Distinctive business names (such as Xerox, Quicken, and Amazon.com) are clever and memorable, and they usually receive protection under federal and state trademark law. Common or ordinary names (such as Smith's Hardware, Tom's Gourmet Sandwiches, and Pets.com) usually do not.
While there's no magic formula for concocting distinctive business names, they tend to be made up of surprising or fanciful words that often have nothing to do with the underlying business, product, or service, such as Kodak film or Double Rainbow ice cream. However, there can be a downside to coining a brand new word or using a completely arbitrary term. Business names that have nothing to do with the underlying product or service often require extensive and expensive marketing efforts to become established.
The best names for small businesses are those that customers can easily remember and associate with your business. For this reason, many small businesses prefer to use words that cleverly suggest qualities about the underlying product or service without describing them outright, such as Lending Tree for loans, Slenderella for diet food products, or The Body Shop for personal hygiene products. These names are also considered distinctive and are therefore protected as trademarks.

Tips for Choosing a Distinctive Business Name

Here are a few more guidelines to use in your search for a distinctive business name:
  • Make your name memorable. A creative, distinctive name will not only be entitled to a high level of trademark protection, but it will also stick in the minds of your customers. Forgettable names are those of people (like O'Brien Web Design), those that include geographic terms (like Westside Health Foods), and names that literally describe a product or service (like Appliance Sales and Repair, Inc.). Remember, you want to distinguish yourself from your competitors.
  • Your name should be appealing and easy to use. Choose a name that's easy to spell and pronounce, and that is appealing to both eye and ear. Try to pick a catchy name that people will like to repeat. Make sure that any images or associations it evokes will suit your customer base.
  • Avoid geographical names. Besides being easy to forget, and difficult to protect under trademark law, a geographical name may no longer fit if your business expands its sales or service area. If you open Berkeley Aquariums & Fish, for instance, will it be a problem if you want to open a second store in San Francisco? Especially if you plan to sell products on the Internet, you should think twice about giving your business a geographic identifier.
  • Don't limit expanded product lines. Similarly, don't choose a name that might not be representative of future product or service lines. For instance, if you start a business selling and installing canvas awnings using the name Sturdy Canvas Awnings, your name might be a burden if you decide to also start making other products such as canvas signs or vinyl awnings.
  • Get feedback. Before you settle on a name, get some feedback from potential customers, suppliers and others in your support network. They may come up with a downside to a potential name or suggest an improvement you haven't thought of.
Is Your Proposed Business Name Available?

Once you've come up with some ideas for distinctive names, you'll need to be sure you're not stepping on an existing name or trademark.
As a first rule, don't use part of a famous name and hope you'll get away with it because you plan to use it in a different way, as in Microsoft Cushions, or M & M Marketing. If you attract the attention of the big guys, you'll be threatened with a lawsuit and will most likely have to change your business name on all of your marketing material.
For not so famous names, you'll have to do a name search to find out if the same name, or similar names, are already in use, and how they're being used. If another company is using the same or a similar name to market different products and services, it may be fine for you to use the name for your business.
Finally, if your business is a corporation, LLC, or limited partnership, in addition to checking for existing trademarks, you must be sure your business name isn't the same as that of an existing corporation, LLC, or limited partnership in your state. You'll have to contact your state filing office to find out how to search their name databases.
Is a Domain Name Available That's Similar to Your Business Name?

If your business will have a website, you must decide what your domain name (the address used to identify your website) will be. Using all or part of your business name in your domain name will make your website easier for potential customers to find. Since many domain names are already taken, check what's available before you settle on your business name. You can search for available domain names by visiting a domain name registrar such as register.com.
----
Loads more advice here: choosing a business name - Google Search

And companies house to search for UK companies is [DLMURL="http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk"]Companies House[/DLMURL]

View attachment 78511

Last edited:

Reply to Business name suggestions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys have a big gap above tray to fill 2cm high 1cm deep (3/4in x 1/2in) Any suggestions...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As title suggests. Used to use this forum a while back but seems my account was deleted...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen