Search the forum,

Discuss business advice. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

purleyite

Hi,

I am just after some advice really. I have been tiling part time for about 3 years, i have completed a month long intensive training course, i am quietly confident in my work but dont claim to know everything and i am certainly not the quickest tiler around.

I would love to take up the profession full time but am a bit worried about it and about how much work i will actually get as i still need to pay the bills, but at the same time how long do i wait to try and go alone.

I think i need some on the job experience and i guess im only going to get that whilst doing the jobs.

Is there anyone out there that has had the same worries and come through and has a successful business. im in the surrey/hampshire area, what is the demand for work like in the area?

I have a fairly stable full time office job now but am bored to tears every day which is why i tried something different. I did a job last week on a saturday and it took me 12 hrs but i much prefered doing that than the thought of coming to work for 9hrs and being bored all day!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

G

Gazzer

In these times of work shortage I suggest you play safe and continue to do part time until such a time when you feel is right for you. I have no idea about the work in your area. Its very patchy here even for a seasoned tiler !

A

aph257

if you need to pay the bills, it'll have to be the boredom route for the moment.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
as above,keep doing part time....time will tell once you start getting good repeat business and referalls you will know when its time to jump ship

M

mikethetile

If your worried then your not ready for self employment, dont be hasty and do something you might later regret, things are tough right now and they will get a lot worse before they get better

C

Ceramico tiling

yep as above,dont leave your job.If you intend to do tiling full time you will have to work on sites aswell as for homeowners.You will struggle to compete with the foreigners unless you are established already.

Reply to business advice. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen