Currently reading:
Bumpy floor best solution

Discuss Bumpy floor best solution in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Terrytibbs9

Hi, two parts to this!

1) I am about to tile my kitchen 3x3m with porcelian.
However the floor is all over the place. Has multiple lumps and drops etc.

Should I laytex, then board? What is the best solution without raising the floor height too much??

2) 14sqm ceramic floor tiles. At the moment it's just floor boards. Not springing, sound condition. Can I just board with 12mm ply? Or should I use backer board?? Again want to keep the height difference down, as its a hallway leading into 4 rooms!

Looking for the cheapest option.........obviously!

S

SJPurdy

for the hallway the advise above to use a suitable 6mm tile backer board (glued and screwed) is good.
For the kitchen floor you do not state what the construction of the floor is. If it is a solid screed that has been badly done then using a suitable self levelling compound should suffice; but if it is a timber tongue groove boarded floor that is up and down then the best solution would be to remove the timber; level up the joists; add noggins at 300 c/c if necessary; lay 18mm exterior grade ply; then 6mm tile backer board.
Steve

Reply to Bumpy floor best solution in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement