Search the forum,

Discuss Builders in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fred

I've work, for the past 3 months, for a bathroom fitter. He got me via the tile shop I also use. I said I'd do ceramic for $20 per m2. The thing is, he mainly uses top quality porcelian, so we came to an agreement of $25 per m2 as it was regular work.

Any way, a few times he has had me finish of jobs the other tiler has done, like the boxing in etc. I told him it was a half day rate, but he came out with ' well, come on, you get all this work, a free-bee for me here and there can't hurt'! Any way, I got over that and he paid me up for these little bits on the next job.

I worked last friday laying a 5.5 m2 porcelian floor, and grouted it the next day as he supplies slow flexi.

He's been on holiday and came back yesterday so I texted him today to tell him the price, $180.00p , ignored my calls all day but got hold of him a few minutes ago.

He started banging on about its only 5m2 , I said sorry mate, not going to work a day and a saturday morning for 125 notes, would you mate!

It makes me mad this bloke gets a good job and expects me to work for pennies whilst he's jetting off every other month, which he does, and I'm struggling to make ends meet.

Was my price unfair?

F

Fekin

Well, if you had agreed £25 psqm then I guess he's totally in his right to only pay you £125.
What needed to have been done was agree new terms for the 5 sqm floor and make him supply rapidset, or as I said, agree a higher price in the first place.

C

CON5933

on a serious note fred, you have to think about ruining a good source of work over an oversight on your part, talk to him and 're-visit' the arrangement, as fekin said, if he agrees to supply rapid set you'll be able to manage the original price...:hurray:

P

Perry

me i would of swapped the adhesive for rapid set or told him to supply it a builder wouldn't know anything lol

S

Spud

no you are not being unreasonable charging what you charged dont give in ior you will end up working for nothing if you keep giving in to this guy, explain to him this works out a £36 a metre on this one job but he makes good money out of you when its a fully tiled room and tell him in future any thing under 6m2 will be charged by the day :thumbsup:

B

brian c

i think its a bit expensive Fred.Just watch you dont bite the hand thats feeding you m8.:thumbsup:

F

Fred

Text'd the bloke. Made my peace. Asked if we could agree on 130 a day on smaller jobs, plus a little extra for the next morning to grout, asked if he was ok with 150? Have not heard back, so probably done my legs.

Reply to Builders in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen