Search the forum,

Discuss Builders TV in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

Sorry Dave, I’m not sure this is the right place for this post, so if it’s not could you move it for me?
I’m just wondering how you guys feel about prime time building programmes? Do you feel it enhances our trade or does it more damage? I only ask because yet another programme has started recently – Cowboy Builders, Channel Five and I’m not entirely sure it’s doing us any good. Of course it’s entertaining but it doesn’t help the consumer it just make entertaining viewing. I’ve listed just but a few of the programmes below and how I feel about them...

Cowboy Builders

This is a new one and on first glace would appear a factual and helpful programme but it’s not, It has Melinda Messenger running about town blagging free goods from any shop that will happily supply hundreds sometimes thousands of pounds worth of goods seemingly out of the goodness of their hearts but in reality just to get a one line mention on the channel 5 website and then Dom Littlewood charging about trying to grab the (so called) builder by the throat. I agree these builders need to be named and shamed but the programme never gives any real advice on how to avoid the same pitfalls and this is what makes it entertainment. Why don’t they say ‘If a price is too good to be true, then it probably is’ and ‘you get what you pay for’. Something that these programmes all have in common is that they are up against a deadline and as luck would have it they never miss it!
I think it’s also very rich of a programme that is trying to shame cowboy builders to then complete shoddy work themselves, I’ve just finished watching on channels fives website the episode in Leeds and there are a couple of scenes were it doesn’t do its self any favours, the first isn’t that bad at all but still... It shows one of the shows builders trying to drill through the side of the house with a 10mm x 400mm drill bit using a cordless drill. The drill is vibrating all over the place and you know it’s going to take him 10 minutes. I’ve done this myself but only because the bushes had worn out on my hammer drill that very same day. In another shot they show the decorators painting on to bare plaster without thinning out the paint to prime, Ok you can get paints that will allow you to paint without priming but these paints mark like crazy and I’d never paint someone’s house in it as I know it won’t last. Lastly in one of the end scenes it shows you the end product now take a look at how badly aligned the wardrobe doors are!!! I understand this is a programme that had only so much time to film but then at least put a disclaimer at the end that tells the viewers that the builders were on site for another week putting right everything that they had rushed!

60 Second Makeover

Where to start with this one! The finish is shocking, the camera rarely stands still enough to show how bad the workmanship is but when it does OH MY GOD! Another is that they never show that all the people working on the house would fill ‘The Royal Albert Hall’ (Just like those holes in Blackburn Lancashire)

Changing Rooms
Don’t tell viewers that a new bathroom cost £600, do labour charges not exist in your world? It’s almost as bad as B&Q saying ‘You can have this complete bathroom for £289’ ermmm aren’t you forgetting the £200 in plumbing materials to make the d**n thing work.

Grand Designs
I love this programme! It’s the only programme that gives a balanced view on building works, the highs and the lows, It’s very stressful having builders into your own home, in your own personal space but I believe this programme often shows the stress that tradesmen go through on a daily basis so that the customer gets what he/she wants. My only gripe with this programme is that it often champions German builders, but sometimes neglects the fact that the Germans spend weeks sometimes months building everything off site which means they only have to spend a few days installing but I can forgive grand Designs this oversight as it is generally an excellent programme. I love my job I started building when I was sixteen and have sometimes gone into other professions (I’ve been an accountant and worked for record companies, how detached is that from the tools!) but I always come back because I’ve not found a job that can give you the same job satisfaction as building does.
:rant:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

to be honest CR Grand Designs is the only one I watch by choice, even though I think kevin mcleod is a condescending t**t, but i like the format as it gives you warts and all insight into what is achievable with a bit of imagination and a (usually not so small!) budget!

W

White Room

Got to agree there mate, how many times have I tried and failed miserably to get out of the building game. Theres something there that keeps me going, like you say job satisfaction. 60 second makeover, pleeeeeeeeeeese what tosh:yikes:

B

brian c

the grand designs...is the German episode you are talking about being the flat roof that ended up like a swimming pool?I do watch them but havent seen the one with Melinda ...maybe just watch that for the eye candy..lol

That house ended up gorgeous with only one internal door.Pitty about the glass blocks protecting the shower in the open spaced living area...you could be sitting in the kitchen having breakfast watching the other half shower...erm..cmon..i know we are liberated but thats a no no.(bad design)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

the grand designs...is the German episode you are talking abouy being the flat roof that ended up like a swimming pool?I do watch them but havent seen the one with Melinda ...maybe just watch that for the eye candy..lol
yeah I remember that GD Bri, the one with Melinda is ok(ish), Dom tries to be the tough nut tho' by doing his "cook report" on cowboys. He ends up looking like a little bloke with a big chip on his shoulder tho'!

C

Colour Republic

the grand designs...is the German episode you are talking about being the flat roof that ended up like a swimming pool?I do watch them but havent seen the one with Melinda ...maybe just watch that for the eye candy..lol

That house ended up gorgeous with only one internal door.Pitty about the glass blocks protecting the shower in the open spaced living area...you could be sitting in the kitchen having breakfast watching the other half shower...erm..cmon..i know we are liberated but thats a no no.(bad design)

That's not the one as it happens but yes that one the Germans really did mess up!, All the British builders watching them put up a roof without a fall, shaking their heads saying 'I've got to see this!!'

The glass block really were a bad idea, but somebody did a similar design but the glass became opaqe when a current was passed through it, i've mangaed to track the manufacturers down and am now offering it to my customers.

I'm so sorry about my spelling and gramma tonight but 2 bottles of wine will do that to you, Radcliffe's 'Calle Vieja' if anybodys interested.

C

Colour Republic

yeah I remember that GD Bri, the one with Melinda is ok(ish), Dom tries to be the tough nut tho' by doing his "cook report" on cowboys. He ends up looking like a little bloke with a big chip on his shoulder tho'!

Couldn't agree more, the way he steams up to people then realises that it's not quite going to be the big punch up that he thinks it will

D

doug boardley

What makes you think i'm getting up in the morning?

arhhh maybe it is my bed time, got a delivery arriving on the job at 7:30
cab sav for me tonight, not made my mind up yet about tomorrow, as Roger has so i hardly think it's wort a 25 mile round trip to grout 5m2! it'll wait till I'm up there next time, plus I could take the boys swimming tomorrow!

Reply to Builders TV in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen