Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Builders doing Tiling, Matting Mesh stuck, Expansion gap not wanted - Advice in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

McLovin

TF
Reaction score
Hi

Started a job today and been thrown a few curve balls.
Customer had tiles cracking grout breaking up (builder said he could do the tiling). Customer said half the tiles had been fixed to concert and half to floor boards. Sounded like a simple tear up, secure floor boards, fix Hardie backer and take it from there.

Anyway got there today starred removing ties to find a mixture of matting, no matting, dot and dab, latex adhesive and patched up floor boards with heating pipes practically stuck to the floorboards (also fell through a patched up floor board).

Tiles and matting have now been removed. I am fighting a losing battle removing all the mesh from the substrate.
Another curve ball the customers have thrown is that they do not want an expansion gap. I have explained that BS states.... but the customer is adamant they want me to find a way round it.

My plan of action is:

*Secure floorboards / Fit a few new boards
* Two coats of SBR
*Fix and prime Hardiebacker 12mm (flexi adhesive)
-This should roughly bring it up to the same level as existing tiles which as solid.
*batten under kitchen units and batten doorway / Expanding foam for gaps.
*Latex SLC over entire surface bringing it to one level.
*Tile as normal

For the expansion gap I am stuck. If customer (lovely older couple) really does not want one could I use a latex based adhesive either side of the join to compensate.

All ideas and thoughts welcome. I have added pictures.

Thanks

IMG_6695.JPG IMG_6701.JPG IMG_6705.JPG IMG_6706.JPG IMG_6707.JPG IMG_6708.JPG

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Say if they want more tiles coming up and cracking then sure no expansion gap it is.

Can't you use a mapei grout and silicone a grout going in a matching colour? Set out the floor so a join is on the expansion strip?

J

J Sid

Say if they want more tiles coming up and cracking then sure no expansion gap it is.

Can't you use a mapei grout and silicone a grout going in a matching colour? Set out the floor so a join is on the expansion strip?

other makes available;)

I like the Ardex and colour match silicon :) but Mapei is good to ;)

What tiles are going back down?

McLovin

TF
Reaction score

Iv told them that he expansion joint is non negotiable but thought I would see if there is any other ways people recommend. Trying to be decent.

Any other thoughts on the rest? Will the remaining mesh be an issue do you think?

McLovin

TF
Reaction score
other makes available;)

I like the Ardex and colour match silicon :) but Mapei is good to ;)

What tiles are going back down?

I'll be using a grey expansion bar. Bal Ash grout with Bal ash silicone but we all know its unsightly. Did not know if I had missed any other techniques that others might use.

90 x 20 wood efferent porcelain in a random pattern. Its a lovely tile. Almost no bow.

Any thoughts on the rest of my prep pal. Im a bit concerned about the mesh.

J

J Sid

Mesh is fine

Just used the Ash, nice to work with, silicon is a little bit darker than the grout.

check for bounce on the wood floor, good chance to have some boards up and reinforce if needed.

laying the planks the same direction as the expansion joint will look alot better, goes without saying

McLovin

TF
Reaction score
Mesh is fine

Just used the Ash, nice to work with, silicon is a little bit darker than the grout.

check for bounce on the wood floor, good chance to have some boards up and reinforce if needed.

laying the planks the same direction as the expansion joint will look alot better, goes without saying

Im a fan of Bal grouts. Ash is good on a dark floor in my opinion. The silicone has to much shine for my liking.

Thanks for the replay mate. I needed to double check I was going the best way about things. Its always nice to get a few more opinions.

With the exception of a bad floorboard the rest have no bounce but I'll have a good jump around tomorrow to make sure.

Reply to Builders doing Tiling, Matting Mesh stuck, Expansion gap not wanted - Advice in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks