• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss British Ceramic Tiles - They actually want our feedback in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Q

Qwerty

Wow! It seems the power of social media has had some effect!

I try to keep the forum Twitter account ticking over and recently the issue of how bad BCT (British Ceramic Tiles) are for us tilers.

BCT have openly put it out there wanting feedback from us.....

Screenshot_20180209-225540.png

So please either respond to this thread with as much detail as possible and I'm happy to take this forward on your behalf, or respond to the BCT tweet directly.

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
They won't listen, I know may a tiler who has posted negative comments o. There FB page, all get the standard response and withing a week or so they just delete the comments and no more is said or done

OP
Q

Qwerty

Ok, but if you don't try and voice your opinion when they have openly asked for it, when can you? This is an opportunity to put those BCT rants into constructive criticism for them.

OP
F

Flintstone

What are they really going to do, alter there’s manufacturing process? They surely know how poor they are

OP
H

hmtiling

I, personally, think they are the best quality, sized, shaded, straight and printed without error tiles I've ever used. So if they'd like to send me a free pallet to be used as hardcore for my extension I'd be willing to lie on other platforms too

OP
O

On one

Wow! It seems the power of social media has had some effect!

I try to keep the forum Twitter account ticking over and recently the issue of how bad BCT (British Ceramic Tiles) are for us tilers.

BCT have openly put it out there wanting feedback from us.....

View attachment 96666

So please either respond to this thread with as much detail as possible and I'm happy to take this forward on your behalf, or respond to the BCT tweet directly.
This could be a long running thead!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
I like the fact that if your bed of adhesive goes over 6mm they let you know by cracking a few weeks later.

This time of year the kids bedroom window gets lots of condensation. If you dry lay a few m2 of bct (use the ones you couldn’t possibly use on the job) they act as dehumidifiers

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Premium
Esteemed
Reaction score
BCT's quality control is abismal to say the least.

I have complained direct on they're FB page and they tried to reply via messenger and not in the post i posted.

The list of faults goes on from planetising like bowls and printing error to tile face and surface bubbling , mass production with what seems little quality control.

One of the biggest issues is sizing of tiles , some can be as much as 3mm i have found , imho its just not acceptable.

But as usual it just falls on deaf ears...

OP
Q

Qwerty

This could be a long running thead!

Its what people make of it. You get out what you put in sometimes.

Now is the chance for us to have our say. BCT have never before openly asked for this type of feedback on a social media platform. On Facebook messages can easily be deleted, but on Twitter this is harder to hide away. Members need to take the opportunity to use it to voice their opinion or forever hold their peace.

OP
O

One Day

My opinion, quite simply is that they should stop marketing their products as premium, quality and proudly British made.
What they are is very much substandard, terrible quality and an embarrassment to British manufacturing.

I won't install their tiles. I have done, three times and it was a very unpleasant experience. I began to question my own skill as a tiler!

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

They are poor quality wall tiles made for the fashion industry.
To sell them as a floor tile ( even if only suitable for soft shoe area) is breaking the trades description act.
Like others I refuse to fix them.
Perhaps a questionaire would provide the answer they are after.
Have you used BCT within the last 5 years Y/N.
We’re you happy with the quality Y/N .
As a tile of choice would you use them again Y/N.
Just my thoughts.

OP
B

Blunt Tool

BCT are at least 40 years behind any other tile manufacturer, if they made cars they would still be churning out the likes of Austin Allegros etc. Size inaccuracies force a uncommon larger joint, glaze imperfections too common, material far too soft and vulnerable ( was the oven even switched on or just air dried, or are the coal miners still on strike). Stop stating they are ok for floors, you are simply lying, I would not use on a concrete or sand and cement floor let alone go anywhere near any kind of wooden subfloor. Glaze not to full edge of tiles, making it vulnerable to any kinda water penetration ie behind even a domestic sink let alone modern power showers, wall jets, waterfall heads etc
So come on BCT take the flared trousers, paisley shirt, kipper tie off and stop these crimes against tiling or Inspector Jack from the flying squad should be coming for you saying you’re nicked son!!!

OP
O

On one

I'm not on twitter either so please feel free to pass on @Plan Tec Tiling
All of these tile were from the same job, and because there were so many faulty tiles I ran short....had to order more tiles.....more time.....and knock on effect for other trades.

image 1.JPG image 2.JPG image 3.JPG image 4.JPG image 5.JPG image 6.JPG

OP
D

Dumbo

Do you think this might start a trend that the diy sheds b+q ,topps, Homebase,wickes etc might follow

OP
O

One Day

Do you think this might start a trend that the diy sheds b+q ,topps, Homebase,wickes etc might follow

100% no.
Because there is a HUGE market for cheap rubbish, sold as decent.
Especially in the UK where consumers are a little "challenged" differentiating between something nice and shiny, and something that is actually well made. :p

In fact, I would wager that the person who asked for the constructive feedback will be the subject of disciplinary action next week at BCT!

OP
D

Dumbo

100% no.
Because there is a HUGE market for cheap rubbish, sold as decent.
Especially in the UK where consumers are a little "challenged" differentiating between something nice and shiny, and something that is actually well made. :p

In fact, I would wager that the person who asked for the constructive feedback will be the subject of disciplinary action next week at BCT!
Actually wanted press like agree and winner for that post

OP
G

GoneGuy

I have recently tiled a full bathroom walls and floor in bct tiles one feature wall 500x150 plank effect and 500x300 tiles every tile had either a shade variation or size difference up to 4mm and that was in nearly every box.
The tiles are so soft how can they be marketed for floor tiles yet alone suitable for use on underfloor heating.
Also tiles were stated to be 8mm thick bit this is only on the edge as the middle of the tile is more like 10-12mm.
I don’t think I’ve found a single tile that is flat.
And as mentioned the glaze does not cover the entire tile so is subsceptible to water ingress and potential tile failure.
I can honestly say I will never take a job on that includes any type of bct tiles.

OP
T

Tile Shop

You could ask the why the hell they need a fixing method statement from a fixer when it is clearly a glazing issue, even visible on the tiles THAT HAVEN'T BLOODY BEEN FITTED YET!!!!

The love handing out stupid little questionnaires that must be filled out before they even entertain a fault claim. I know because I'm in the middle of two now. Think this is the wake-up call our company needed to bin BCT off completely. We started with them originally when they were "Candy Tiles"..... now some house-builders use them and that is the only thing that has kept us with them. Poor quality and distinctly average customer service.

OP
Q

Qwerty

I'm going to leave this thread open for additional input over the next week so get your say in. I'm going to then publicly post the feedback on Twitter and on my personal social media pages

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
I've fitted loads of them, definitely not the best tiles in the world, but I would never refuse to fit them, people have budget's and I try to work within them,.
would never brick bond them, and you have to be creative with the spacing , but I enjoy a challenge .!!

Chris Gibbs

TF
Arms
Reaction score
they are totally shocking, and I was embarrassed that they used "British" in their title! its the first time I've felt compelled to contact a manufacturer about the quality of their product.
I have a saying... if you're going do it, do it, if not, don't bother.
I had a 4mm difference from one tile to another! never again... and I would refuse to fit them... don't need it.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Must admit I couldn't careless, I won't fix 'em so not an issue to me.

OP
B

Bill

I confess to being @piesaregreat and I have had a direct message off BCT asking to give examples of why we find BCT a poor choice. I have asked them to join this forum and to try and receive feedback

They appear to be sincere.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
I wouldn't use British Ceramic Tiles to tile my worst enemy's prison cell, I'll never forget the way their Rep Nick Johnson repeatedly fobbed me off on the phone making out he was constantly rushing into a meeting and he would ring me back.
I'm still waiting for that call Nick....

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is a really interesting thread for me! The last 2 bathrooms/wetroom's I've tiled the customer's chose a BCT tile for the walls (vinyl on the floors) and I couldn't believe the bow/'BANANA' in some of the tiles...
As to 'soft' they're like digestive biscuits! :D
I'm a plumber to trade but I really enjoy doing tiling as well when I have the opportunity. Setting out is always a challenge, however I get there in the end.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Premium
Esteemed
Reaction score
I've fitted loads of them, definitely not the best tiles in the world, but I would never refuse to fit them, people have budget's and I try to work within them,.
would never brick bond them, and you have to be creative with the spacing , but I enjoy a challenge .!!

I also fit loads as a comp i subby too use them lol..
I wont fit them brickbond either and otherwise as you say spacing and grout disguises the poor tile sizing to a degree.

I have some pics of truly unacceptable glaze issue somewhere , I'll upload them.

Reply to British Ceramic Tiles - They actually want our feedback in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer