Search the forum,

Discuss Black Polished Porcelain Wall Tiles From Topps-Lots Of Marks On Them ? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

newuser

Hi there

I've just joined after reading a few old threads regarding these tiles to see if anybody can advise.

We bought the above tiles and were advised to buy the Fila products,one for removing the wax on them and one for sealing them.

We had a Bathroom Fitter supposedly follow the instructions from Topps but the tiles look awful,they are dull & patchy and some have ingrained marks on them,we have some leftover which have odd marks on them too,why on earth the Bathroom fitter put them on in the first place I'll never know,but that's another story.

There were some similar bad reviews on the Topps website regarding them loking dull but bad reviews seem to keep disappearing!!

I'm scared to clean them with anything incase I make them worse(if that's possible) I've only used water & a microfibre cloth & all that does is remove water marks,the dull patchy marks are still on a lot of the tiles.

Can anyone advise at all,I'm afraid it's nigh on impossible to post a pic as they are so reflective you can't see the marks due to this !

TIA :helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

T

Time's Ran Out

Re: Black Polished Porcelain Wall Tiles From Topps-Lots Of Marks On Th

As I assume you bought the tiles, it seems a bit unfair to portion blame on the bathroom fitter for using them. Not all defects are visable during installation and tiles are usually priced according to the quality of the product. Quality can vary from country of manufacture and unless you are aware of the surface honing process it is possible for the cheaper Chinese porcelain tiles to have a less refined surface than say products from Italy.
I have no idea what your next step could be, a complaint to Topps, removing the offending tiles etc, of if you paid by credit card a complaint to the provider.
Hope you get it resolved .
John.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

Could be the wax hasn't been removed properly and is still on the tile giving it a dull look.
Or if they have been grouted were they sealed properly? if not then the grout can stain the tile giving it s dull hazy look.

T

Time's Ran Out

Could be the wax hasn't been removed properly and is still on the tile giving it a dull look.
Or if they have been grouted were they sealed properly? if not then the grout can stain the tile giving it s dull hazy look.

They have leftover/spare tiles not fixed with marks on them as well, so they must have been delivered in that state.
Problem is they have been fixed now so the supplier is seemingly not responsible!

N

newuser

As I assume you bought the tiles, it seems a bit unfair to portion blame on the bathroom fitter for using them. Not all defects are visable during installation and tiles are usually priced according to the quality of the product. Quality can vary from country of manufacture and unless you are aware of the surface honing process it is possible for the cheaper Chinese porcelain tiles to have a less refined surface than say products from Italy.
I have no idea what your next step could be, a complaint to Topps, removing the offending tiles etc, of if you paid by credit card a complaint to the provider.
Hope you get it resolved .
John.

Hi there

I didn't want to ramble on too much,but I shall elaborate further, the Bathroom fitter was using one light dangling from the corner of the room in an already dark Bathroom as the Electrician kept saying he was too busy(the Electrician he uses) and didn't fit the LED'S in until the last day.

So I think this is why he's put in in several tiles with defects as it was too dark in there & he didn't see them.

That aside,regarding the dull & hazy marks it could be that he hasn't cleaned the Black grout off properly & has sealed it into the tiles with the sealer.

I hoped somebody might have any suggestions as how to get them shiny again ?

TIA

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score

If you have a spare ( unlaid) tile with marks on , do a test. Use the first product ( if you have some left) does this remove marks fully on first application?

If not try a second application, with an extended time, use a white pad and brush. If this fully removes, test one of your tiles on the floor at this tested time and come back to us here .
did the tile look worse/smeary or patchy after the application of the sealer?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

They have leftover/spare tiles not fixed with marks on them as well, so they must have been delivered in that state.
Problem is they have been fixed now so the supplier is seemingly not responsible!

Ahh missed that: bit.....its still early and I've only had one coffee. .:thumbsup:

Johns right go back to topps they supplied the tile but now there fixed im not sure what they will do.

Did you not check the tiles were suitable for fixing when you purchased them?

Last edited:
T

Time's Ran Out

1 coffee is enough at 6.30 if it's east facing high altitude Kenyan!

N

newuser

If you have a spare ( unlaid) tile with marks on , do a test. Use the first product ( if you have some left) does this remove marks fully on first application?

If not try a second application, with an extended time, use a white pad and brush. If this fully removes, test one of your tiles on the floor at this tested time and come back to us here .
did the tile look worse/smeary or patchy after the application of the sealer?

Hi

I did try using the wax remover on one tile last week that is spare & the marks are still there.

Not sure what you mean by using a White pad & brush?

Since posting this thread I had a fellow from Topps visit yesterday,he seems to thinks the marks will come out and it's leftover wax on them(I'm not convinced) but he's taken the tile with him that I tried to remove the marks from & is sending out an "expert" to assess the tiles on the wall.

I was quite surprised actually because I didn't think they would be interested in any complaints as the tiles are already on the wall,but I will see what transpires and will update you(if anybody is interested,that is)

Thank you for the replies so far.

Also,with Black grout,does anybody think they should be sealed BEFORE grouting as I think this causes problems in that you can't see Black grout on a Black tile very well & if its not cleaned off properly it becomes sealed in the tile .Topps recommend to grout first then seal ?

N

newuser

Hi there

Even the guy from Topps admitted it's not likely many people would open every box & check every tile as soon as they bought them.

Also,we bought the tiles then the original fitter let us down,so we didn't do anything with them unfortunately for a good while,they were just sat in boxes.

I'm only good at hindsight :yikes:

Reply to Black Polished Porcelain Wall Tiles From Topps-Lots Of Marks On Them ? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen