Search the forum,

Discuss Black limestone problems in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

Ray Robinson

I have recently had a large patio area laid in black limestone. The builders left it a mess but we decided to clean (soap & water) it ourselves and seal it. It took a lot of work cleaning and we used a Karcher. We then coated it with a sealer, following the instructions in dry weather (Adstone Stone & Slate Cleaner - from Advanced Sealing Solutions in Bolton).

In parts white areas have appeared and even though when dry the rest looks okay when you walk on it in rain it drys with a muddy film which does not wash off.

Can anyone give advice on how to rectify this problem as my patio looks awful and cost an awful lot of money.
Regards
Ray Robinson (Manchester area)

D

David - Tradetiler

Hello Ray,

It sounds very much like you have a topical (coating) sealer which has moisture trapped underneath the surface. No other option but to strip it all off I'm afraid. Was the original intention the sealer to enhance/darken the colour as well as seal against staining?

If you wanted to just have the natural look of the original stone then an impregnating (penetrating) sealer would be the way to go.

R

Ray Robinson

Hi David
Thank you for the prompt reply. What should I use to strip it off? The original intention was to enhance/darken the colour as well as seal. Also what make of seal would you advise me to use? I obviously did not know there were different types of sealers.

D

David - Tradetiler

We do sell a stripper but just realised we don't have it listed on our website even though it is in the warehouse :mad2:. Let me get that sorted and also check with Universeal about the best option for an outdoor sealer, they have a water based one but also a newly formulated water based colour enhancing sealer.

Will come back to you ASAP

D

David - Tradetiler

Hi Ray,

Have done a fair bit of research for you and the best option is to strip it off with our Universeal Extreme Clean (or equivalent).

As opposed to using another coating sealer, I believe you will be much better off using a colour enhancing impregnating sealer such as our Universeal Ultimate Stone Enhancer (or equivalent). It's a water based sealer that absorbs into the surface of the stone rather than sitting on top. Once dry will not suffer in the same way with water getting under the product.

Hope this helps

Reply to Black limestone problems in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen