Search the forum,

Discuss Big hole in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MTiler

Hi

Just need a bit of advice on a job I may be doing that I had a look at today. It was to replace some lower tiles in a shower unit but its not as simple as that. After the shower drain pipe leaked water had got into the substrate causing tiles to eventually come off.
Anyway the client decided to rip off the tiles effected and also the plasterboard underneath leaving a gaping hole of about a metre square on one wall from the floor up. The plasterboard was attached to the underlying concrete breeze blocks by dot and dab, and the ‘dots’ are still there!
Some drying out is still needed so he wont be getting back to me before it does, which gives me some time. He was planning to do it himself then had second thoughts.

The tiling itself isn’t the problem its dealing with the hole Im a tad worried about especially as its early days for me. If I cleaned up the edges of the existing plasterboard (more tiles will have to be taken off) and patched the hole with backer board (ie: Wedi board) obviously sealing all joints (plus tanking) would that be ok? Would I also be better off using the thicker board so I wouldn’t have to use so much adhesive (dot and dab) and there’d be less movement to make it easier to match up with the plasterboard?
Im assuming he’ll get other quotes so I wont be too upset if I don’t get it, but would like to know the best option.

Cheers
Miss Tiler

M

McP77

Personally I would do what you have suggested i.e. tidy up existing plasterboard then reboard and tank.

G

GazTech

Hi

Just need a bit of advice on a job I may be doing that I had a look at today. It was to replace some lower tiles in a shower unit but its not as simple as that. After the shower drain pipe leaked water had got into the substrate causing tiles to eventually come off.
Anyway the client decided to rip off the tiles effected and also the plasterboard underneath leaving a gaping hole of about a metre square on one wall from the floor up. The plasterboard was attached to the underlying concrete breeze blocks by dot and dab, and the ‘dots’ are still there!
Some drying out is still needed so he wont be getting back to me before it does, which gives me some time. He was planning to do it himself then had second thoughts.

The tiling itself isn’t the problem its dealing with the hole Im a tad worried about especially as its early days for me. If I cleaned up the edges of the existing plasterboard (more tiles will have to be taken off) and patched the hole with backer board (ie: Wedi board) obviously sealing all joints (plus tanking) would that be ok? Would I also be better off using the thicker board so I wouldn’t have to use so much adhesive (dot and dab) and there’d be less movement to make it easier to match up with the plasterboard?
Im assuming he’ll get other quotes so I wont be too upset if I don’t get it, but would like to know the best option.

Cheers
Miss Tiler
cut plasterboard square to fit big.hole....silicone a line arond the opening as close to the hole as possible....push plasterbord up to silicone...pull back off and the shape of hole will show itself in a silicone line.Cut it less than space between silcone and hole,you can always fill if its a tad to small ...its a method of shape tracing but works well..Gaz

M

MTiler

Thanks guys.
Sorting out shape of patch wont be too difficult, just wanted to make sure I was going in right direction to sort it out. Love the silicone idea, will have to remember that one.

cheers
Miss Tiler

D

DHTiling

Also if the hole is fairly deep..ie. lots of dot&dab then use a couple of layers of board to build it out...then as the rest have said then tape up joints and tank....dave...

M

MTiler

It is fairly deep which is why i thought id be better off using the thicker dimension board. As I seem to be going in the right direction Im alot happier if I get the job.
Ta.

G

GazTech

It is fairly deep which is why i thought id be better off using the thicker dimension board. As I seem to be going in the right direction Im alot happier if I get the job.
Ta.
Hardibacker from guess who...lol 6mm and 12mm.. always prime everything :wink_smile: Gaz

Reply to Big hole in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen