Search the forum,

Discuss Big day - slc time! Timing advice needed... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

K

Katie279

Ok, everything going to plan so far after a mammoth day yesterday laying the marmox boards and ufh mats. They've been glue gunned into position as well as using the peelable stickers.

now can I just say that I think every tiler in the country should receive free massages on the NHS?? Freakin kills the back being on your knees all day and constantly getting up and down means I've got burnt out thighs!

anyway, today I'm laying the slc over the ufh mats, got the usual gear (eg spiked roller et al).

One question is how long should I leave it to set and how should I turn the ufh on? Looking to lay no more than 1cm, really just enough to cover the wires so realistically going to be half that.

ive seen some folk talk about leaving for weeks, some say just leave overnight etc - the bag (ultraplan renovation) says 12 hrs, but this is obviously a bit different due to heating element.

ive seen some folk talk about gradually ramping up the temp also.

any simple descriptions of what you guys do would be most appreciated!

A

AMtek

I would leave it 24hrs to dry out fully then test the UFH with a multimeter to make sure it is still working as it should then tile with rapidest flexible adhesive, leave to dry for ideally a week then turn on your UFH to its lowest setting and increase the temp of the UFH by 1 deg a day until at its max operating temperature then cool it down slowly. You are better off phoning the tech help for the UFH, SLC and adhesive manufacturers and sticking to what they say though, if you don't and it fails you will have no warranty. Hope that helps

A

AMtek

You will be better off using the same brand adhesive and SLC as well, they are designed to work together and if it did fail you wouldn't have the adhesive manufacturer blaming the SLC manufacturer and vice versa

G

Gazzer

I think they mean glue gun to stick UFH to mats and the adhesive strips on the mats.

Q

Qwerty

Glue gun and peelable stickers!!!!!!!!

I thought the same John, then as Neale says I read it again and I think Katie was referring to the UFH, not the insulation boards. I hope I am correct Katie!? Out of interest what was the substrate and how did you fix it. Any pics so far?

Reaction score
I wouldn't advise turning on the UFH until 7 days have passed. Most SLC's these days can be tiled pretty quickly, if the bag states 12 hours then thats what I would go with. Your adhesive and grout will also need 7 days before the UFH is switched on so I would turn the heating on 7 days after the tiling has been completed.

Turn on at a low temp initially and then increase the temp by about 2 degrees per day and everything will be spot on.

K

Katie279

Hi all, no I glue gunned the joists to the brick - was this not right.......? ;)

yup, quite right, have glued the ufh down

substrate was floorboards which I lifted up and replaced with 18mm wbp plywood screwed to joists with cross noggins to support. Then laid 10mm marmox using adhesive and screws. Then fibre taped joints etc and laid slc. Am hoping this was correct? ;)

did a quick check with digital varigauge (yes I'm anal like that) and this ultraplan renovation is amazing stuff. Am sitting with a 2mm height variance from any point across three rooms (circa 10m). Brilliant stuff to use, runs perfectly.

Now to lay the tiles before beginning the wait to switch on the ufh!!

Q

Qwerty

Hi all, no I glue gunned the joists to the brick - was this not right.......? ;)

substrate was floorboards which I lifted up and replaced with 18mm wbp plywood screwed to joists with cross noggins to support. Then laid 10mm marmox using adhesive and screws. Then fibre taped joints etc and laid slc. Am hoping this was correct? ;)

Sounds bang on :). Did you have any issues with the UFH mat floating up in the SLC?

K

Katie279

Nope, went a bit mental with the glue gun as I was determined it wasn't going to! Looking pretty shiny and smooth now.....!

Reply to Big day - slc time! Timing advice needed... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen