Discuss Bevelled Metro Tiles..... Trims, edges and window reveals. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

C

Chris Bates

A.jpg
B.jpg
Hello,

This is the first time of posting and hope that someone can give me some advice or posing me in the right direction.

I've tiled successfully in the past and, in my opinion, done a decent job, but now face fitting bevelled tiles.

My question relates to the height of the tile trim around window reveals and edges.

My first idea was as drawing A. This allowed a thin quadrant edging and finished with a good edge next to the trim. Great so far.

Looking around I have only seen it done as B. Where the trim is at the same height as the top of the tile. This, in my opinion, looks messy as there is lots of grout around the bevel and we see a cut tile at the edge.

Then we move onto the window reveal, the quadrant trim has to be as drawing B, because of the cut tiles.

Can anyone recommend the neatest way of fitting the trim on Bevelled Metro tiles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
What about leaving the biscuit back exposed ?
Painters chalk....
Trouble you get with metros is the middle of the tile is 8mm the top 6mm so an 8mm trims on the top ends up with a horrible lip......personal choice really.....I've done it both ways but hate the lip at the top.

OP
F

Flintstone

Yeah there's always the difference in thickness between the bevel and cut. I don't think it looks bad. Personally unless it's a rustic tile I think no trim doesn't look right on an edge.

OP
C

Chris Bates

Thanks for your comments.

Spinning the tile around as Drawing A appears not to be recommended.

I did consider not using trim on the edges, but I reckon on the tile edges look unsightly, these days.

I think I'll get some trim, cut a few tiles and mock something up.

Chris

OP
C

Chris Bates

Diagram B is correct .. Also you could reduce the whole tile just after the bevel to achieve the same thickness (8mm) consistent to suit for trim...if that makes sense;)
Thanks. Yes it does make sense. I've considered this as well.

OP
S

Spud

You could Start on the 3/4 of the tile and you get even height on the the trim with both cuts as long as you don't get small cuts in the corners and around the windows

OP
C

Chris Bates

You could Start on the 3/4 of the tile and you get even height on the the trim with both cuts as long as you don't get small cuts in the corners and around the windows
Thanks. I've discussed this with others and this appears their recommendation. I'm concerned it could look messy as we are not finishing on a whole tile.

OP
D

Dumbo

I'd you have any wall underneath the window that you are tiling you are going to have to consider this when setting out your tiling so you can't just Tile up one side how you want without it affecting the other side of the window.

OP
C

Chris Bates

I'd you have any wall underneath the window that you are tiling you are going to have to consider this when setting out your tiling so you can't just Tile up one side how you want without it affecting the other side of the window.
Thanks. Yes, I also have a window to consider, cooker splashback on the same wall, both of which should be symmetrical.

OP
C

Chris Bates

Hello again,

I've made a start, by undertaking, the "easy" wall. This is the edge that I was concerned about. 8mm trim on the top and 10mm on the sides. I filed a 2 x 15 mm chamber on the top of the 10mm trim to match the profile of the tile.
IMG_1810.JPG

Does anyone have a preference of how to lay the first row of tiles on the window revile. Where the window board would normally go. Do we start with a cut tile or an uncut tile ? Do we stagger or not ? My gut feeling is a cut none staggered tile so it appears to wrap around. See photo.

IMG_1812.JPG

Thanks in anticipation . Chris.

OP
F

Flintstone

I usually start with a full tile on the window reveal, staggered or not depending on the cut below. It's not much of a wrap around with that white trim IMO

Reaction score
View attachment 87066 View attachment 87067 Hello,

This is the first time of posting and hope that someone can give me some advice or posing me in the right direction.

I've tiled successfully in the past and, in my opinion, done a decent job, but now face fitting bevelled tiles.

My question relates to the height of the tile trim around window reveals and edges.

My first idea was as drawing A. This allowed a thin quadrant edging and finished with a good edge next to the trim. Great so far.

Looking around I have only seen it done as B. Where the trim is at the same height as the top of the tile. This, in my opinion, looks messy as there is lots of grout around the bevel and we see a cut tile at the edge.

Then we move onto the window reveal, the quadrant trim has to be as drawing B, because of the cut tiles.

Can anyone recommend the neatest way of fitting the trim on Bevelled Metro tiles.

Reply to Bevelled Metro Tiles..... Trims, edges and window reveals. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer