Search the forum,

Discuss Best buy basic tools for starting out in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

JJS1410

As a newcomer to the industry I am putting together my tool kit. I need to add my adhesive trowels and grout floats and was after some recommendations please!

Whilst I do prefer quality tools, I am restricted by budget and am looking at the "budget" end of the market (with the aim of replacing with quality tools once I am established and earning!!).

Any recommendations for the best budget brand would be welcome.
Thanks

I

Ian

You can get a decent trowel for less than 15 quid, my advice would be get 2 rubi trowels in a 6 & 10mm square notch. Get the soft grip handles NOT the wooden handled ones (the handles come loose very quickly). There is no point getting cheap floats either, it's false economy, and grouting is one of most important parts of a tiling job, it can be the difference between an excellent job and an average job. Have a look on tradetiler, here's a link Trowels great value and top quality from Tradetiler

P

Peter

Some basics would be:

Trowels which cost about a tenner are usually reasonable. 6,8,10 & 12mm should cover most bases.
If you need nippers, get blue handled ones rather than red handled ones as they seem to be stronger. Should be less than £15
The yellow Vitrex style grout floats are one of the best for clean grouting, and a hydro type sponge for washing off.

Cheap trowels and floats will fall apart after a few jobs and then you'll spend extra replacing them early, so pays to spend a few quid more the first time. I use Marshalltown trowels but regrind them so a top quality trowel can last for years. :lol:

Reply to Best buy basic tools for starting out in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen