Currently reading:
Best 6mm backing options

Search the forum,

Discuss Best 6mm backing options in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Cheshire
I priced for a bathroom install in a timber house (timber cladded, timber frame, softboard/hardboard internal walls)
The customer rang me and asked if I could match another price (£1930) as my price was higher (£2135) as I had done work for him before and was happy with me.
The bathroom has tiles already and I imagine that it would be easier to remove the backing (mdf or ply) and re-line it. In Hardy backer it would be £135, the other guy said he would use 6mm MDF, this accounts for most of the saving already!
There will be a freestanding bath close to one wall, I said I wouldn't chance using MDF as if it started popping behind the bath it would mean taking out the washbasin, bath and possibly even the toilet to get access to repair.
If I use Hardy backer behing the bath where it could get wet, would MDF or ply be ok in the drier areas?
I'm also considering contract board but I would maybe have to battern out the walls to fit them.
The tiles are Metros and I think he has bought ready mixed addy already.
Whats the best option?

O

One Day

Ok, cheers, but what would you use?

I'd never use mdf or wood in a bathroom, or anywhere else for tiles for that matter. Plasterboard, tanked if necessary would be a budget option, or Kerdiboard if the budget allows.
My way - or no way. Stick to your guns on prep, after all - it's your reputation at stake for the next several years after you complete the job.

Reply to Best 6mm backing options in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement