Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom Floor tiles coming loose. Advice Please. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

ptoddy26

Hi guys

Was hoping I could get some help / advice on whats gone wrong.

My bathroom floor is 18mm WBP Ply on top of the floor joists. I put lots of noggins in as well. Once done even with a glass of water on the floor and jumping there was a very slight quiver of the water but you could only just notice it so I think it's sturdy enough.

I had a product called fastheat which came with my UFH (see pic).

WP_000083 by ptoddy26, on Flickr

Wasn't going to use it but thought what the hell I may as well. This went on top of the ply.

I then used Mapei super flexible adhesive (see pic) and Mapei flexible grout.

WP_000082 by ptoddy26, on Flickr

I have some tiles that have come loose so I have taken them up. If i'm very careful I can easily save the UFH so not too bothered about taking them up. The tiles I have taken up shows (I think) that the adhesive has bonded to the tiles but not the floor. I've attached some pics for you to see.

WP_000080 by ptoddy26, on Flickr

The back of the tile seems to have adhesive bonded to the back. But the next pic shows the floor which doesn't seem to have adhesive bonded on it.

WP_000081 by ptoddy26, on Flickr

The pink stuff is the fastheat. Have I made a mistake in using this product? Or is it the webbing in the UFH that has stopped the bonding to the ply? To make sure should i cut the webbing out, sand the fastheat primer off and reapply the adhesive. Or do you guys think it's something completely different?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Looks like the mats been installed upside down.

P

ptoddy26

Lukeb - Ok could well be. But can you explain why and what I should of done? It's fine telling me it's faulty installation but I need to learn why.

macten - I don't think the mat is upside down as the sticky side of the tape is stuck to the floor. But even if it's upside down the only difference is the sticky tape is up instead of down.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As has been said, thermal boards on top of ply, then UFH mat, then encapsulate in SLC and tile.

Last edited:
P

ptoddy26

I'm ok taking them up and staring again. But if I do as said above and the adhesive hasn't bonded is it the adhesive? I'm just trying to understand why in my pictures above the adhesive isn't stuck to the floor and if I go a different route, as above, can I use the adhesive I have or do I need different?

Tony73

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, did you prime the floor before tiling? Did you check if tile adhesive is not out of date? or even if its not out of date, i had palet of faulty adhesive.

P

ptoddy26

Hi tony73. I only primed the floor with the fastheat that came with the UFH. I didn't check the date on the adhesive but just looked now and it's 19/03/12 and I only bought it 3-4 weeks ago so must of been out of date when bought. Would that not also cause it to not bond to the tiles as well though?

P

ptoddy26

Looking at the bag again that date may actually be the manufacture date. The bag says 12 months from date of manufacture so I assume the date on the side of the bag is manufacture.

Reply to Bathroom Floor tiles coming loose. Advice Please. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen