Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom floor grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bluevin123

Hi,
Tiled a bathroom floor a couple of weeks ago for a customer. Plyed it out first with 12mm ply,primed it,used flexi addy and flexi grout and screwed down every 12 inches.
Few days later went back because the grout was cracking in places.
we went back and put more in,but last Friday he rang and said its cracking again.
So we going round tomorrow...Gonna get the old grout out and add GT1 to the grout mix to make it more flexilble and pour it in the gaps, apparently if we make it quite wet,it will go under the tile to fill any voids as well,if any..been advised by a skilled tiler to screw down every 4-6 inches for future jobs ,NOT 12.
Just hope this sorts it out,would hate to go back and rip it up,oh yeah they are porclain as well.
Does what I intend to do sound ok with you guys?
Cheers.
Vinnie.
:uhoh2::uhoh2:

E

enduro

Was the adhesive recommended for porcelain, i only use Bal porcelbond flexible addy.

B

bluevin123

Cheers guys,Yeah I primed the ply before I tiled,and the addy was for Porclain.
Cheers.
Vin.

T

TilingLogistics

What grout exactly did you use the first time? How wide are the grout joints?

You cannot modify an already Modified grout it will go like chewing gum. If you ring BAL or Mapei both their tech helplines will confirm this so you will have to slightly over modify one of their unmodified grouts:thumbsup:

Kev

B

Branty

You need to fix the ply every 300mm centres. If the joists are 400mm spans, you need to add noggins. The ply should be 15mm min.

T

TilingLogistics

Hi Kev,it was Bal Wide Gout joint and the grout line is 3mm.
Cheers.
Vin.

So as Dave said it wasn't flexi then:huh2: I wouldn't bother modifying it get a good Bal Flex grout or a Mapei rake out the old stuff and regrout

Kev

Reply to Bathroom floor grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As title suggests. Used to use this forum a while back but seems my account was deleted...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen