Search the forum,

Discuss BAL Quickset Render on uneven and damaged walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fekin

I have a 7 sqm kitchen wrap around splashback to do in the next couple of days "depending on the joiner fitting the new kitchen".

The walls are not in a brilliant state that need tiling, quite uneven and flaking away, and in places all the render has come away in small areas upto 25mm or so deep.

Im looking at brushing them down with a wire brush to get all loose materials off and I know realisticaly the splashback walls need plastering but the customer will not wait for that to be done, so Im looking at other options that are quicker.

Im looking at Bal quickset render to fill the deeper areas that have come away, then a general lite skim over the uneven areas to give a good enough surface to tile onto.

Does this sound ok to do ?

I recommended fitting plasterboard but customer does not want the walls to come out that much as well, so that's why Im looking at quicket render.
----
Currently I can't even find a stockist of quickset render anywhere near me that dosen't have a 2 week wait for ordering in :(

Anyone any ideas, lol :)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

Can't the walls have plasterboard replaced before kitchen is fitted?

Grumpy

V

versatilene

If plasterboards too thick would the customer go for something thinner like 6mm Marmox or another panel?

D

DHTiling

hi adam mate..just use rapid set to skim the walls...deep sections might have to be done in two goes...much cheaper and quicker way to make good the walls.....dave...

V

Varley

I have used rapid set to make good walls before, as Dave says, much cheaper and quicker (sets in 3 hours).

C

crocotile

hi

whats involved when going over a wall with rapid set as opposed to say a backing plaster.

do you fill in the large hole first??
then do you cover the whole wall with rapid set and run a feather edge over it??

thanks
croc

V

Varley

If it's a very deep hole then it will need to be done in two stages (priming before each coat). No reall need for a feather edge, you are only prepping the walls for tiling thay don't need to be super smooth like if you were painting them, just need to be good enough to tile over. Don't spend ages getting the finish silky smooth as your only wasting your own time (and money).

G

GazTech

hi

whats involved when going over a wall with rapid set as opposed to say a backing plaster.

do you fill in the large hole first??
then do you cover the whole wall with rapid set and run a feather edge over it??

thanks
croc
rough it out and plaster with adhesive,slightly score it cross hatched for a nice key

NickH

TF
Reaction score
Ive just done my own kitchen and most of the finish plaster and some of the render came away leaving some big holes. I used a Dunlop fast set natural stone adhesive, which can go up to 25mm, to fill the big holes then Dunlop set fast plus to fix the tiles. You can build it up if you need to and its very rapid, maybe 30 minutes, so you can get the job grouted and finished in one session. Much better than waiting for a plasterer to come and make a sh**ty job of it.

Reply to BAL Quickset Render on uneven and damaged walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen