Search the forum,

Discuss backerboard layout and adhesive in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

edgren

Hi, first post here.

Having read many posts on the use of ply vs backerboard, I have decided to tile over existing sound floorboards in the hall using 6mm Hardiebackerboard. The board is 1200 x 800 and the width of the hall is 1260mm. Would you recommend a 60mm strip along a wall edge where no one walks or should I be making them even sized, even though the join would be in the centre of the hall with the most wear.

Also, I notice on the Hardiebackerboard site that in addition ot the mechanical fixing the adhesive fixing should be non flexible whereas everyone seems to recommend flexible. Does it matter? Is there an adhesive you recommend as I'm overwhelmed by all the different types. Thanks

S

Stef

Hi, spin your board the other way & you will have a 460MM cut instead of a 60mm cut.
Stagger all joins though.
Hardi state a non flexi addy but I almost always use a flexi addy, it just sits better in my head with it being a wooden substrate.
I have used non flexi without issue so it's whatever you want to use.
I use weber adhesive & use a slow set SPF (single part flexi) for fixing Hardi or Weber set +.
Any adhesive from Bal, Mapei, Tile Master etc will suffice.
Fix your Hardi using 25mm screws, I use turbo golds from ScrewFix, you will see where to fix them within the grid pattern on the boards.
I mix my adhesive slightly wetter than I would fixing tiles.

E

edgren

Thanks for the replies. Houston, if I lay it across the run of the boards that will still leave me with the 60mm edging question? Stef, my builders merchant have offered Aquapanel instead of Hardi. That comes 1200 x 900 so I'd have 360 cut instead. Is Aquapanel a worthy substitute for Hardi? It's cheaper but a £50 saving isn't my priority. Thanks

E

edgren

Stef, one more question - would you mind posting a link to the TurboGold screw you meant. I've been looking for 5.0 x 25mm as per the Hardie size recommendation but couldn't see a match.are all Turbo Gold non corrosive? Thanks

S

Stef

I've never used aquapanel & don't know much about it so I couldn't comment on it,
Looking at this again I wouldn't worry too much about a 60mm rip, the Hardi is going to be glued & screwed anyway, it's trying to get a 60mm cut that's the problem.
You will have to use a saw or grinder to cut a strip this thin but it is do able.
Make sure & use a mask if cutting Hardi as it releases some bad chemicals...

I

IHB

How much are you paying for the Hardie? I thought Aquapanel was normally more expensive. If you're paying more than circa £7 + vat then shop around some more.

E

edgren

8.10 plus VAT and that was after a lot of shopping around. That's punter price - if my tiler was buying he'd get a better price and make extra by marking it up. Jewson and Travis Perkins were much more expensive.

S

Stef

Stef, one more question - would you mind posting a link to the TurboGold screw you meant. I've been looking for 5.0 x 25mm as per the Hardie size recommendation but couldn't see a match.are all Turbo Gold non corrosive? Thanks

I use these, 4x25mm
http://m.NoLinksToThis/p/turbogold-countersunk-screws-4-x-25mm-pack-of-200/15732?filtered=true

Never ever had a problem with them, I've even used 3.5x25mm.

Reply to backerboard layout and adhesive in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen