Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Apprenticeship Advice in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

MSB Tiling

Hi guys, I'm just looking for a bit of advice regarding an apprentice I'd like to employ.

Ive registered with CITB today, but his apprenticeship wont start till September.

Can I employ him now and pay apprentice wage or do I have to wait till September.

The CITB agent didnt know the answer.

S

Spud

You can employ him now you just need to write an official letter stating how you intend to employ him and how much you intend to pay him it will be actually beneficial as he will have some tiling experience and he can be then put on the nvq course my lad was brand new and therefore had to do a diploma course which meant I missed out on the apprenticeship funding even though he had a letter from me staying he was employed as an apprentice

R

Rossymcg

Registering with the citb is mistake number 1, they're a complete waste of time just like sending a lad to collage is,
now you'll have to do them a return every year and pay them 1.5% of what you pay yourself and you're employees, from payments made to you from customers not in the building trade, and then name the contractors you've worked for and how much they've paid you, so the citb can chase them up if they're not registered,
I used to have circa 30 men working for me and the house builders used to stop 1.5% frompayments to me, it mounts up big time if you're turning over a lot on labour only,

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Registering with the citb is mistake number 1, they're a complete waste of time just like sending a lad to collage is,
now you'll have to do them a return every year and pay them 1.5% of what you pay yourself and you're employees, from payments made to you from customers not in the building trade, and then name the contractors you've worked for and how much they've paid you, so the citb can chase them up if they're not registered,
I used to have circa 30 men working for me and the house builders used to stop 1.5% frompayments to me, it mounts up big time if you're turning over a lot on labour only,
If u earn over £80 grand a year you pay the levy.
If you don't, you fill in a form, get £400ish a quarter for 3 years(+ a cash bonus ) then at the end of 3 years you get about 3/4 grand cash sum .
So if your a one man band, its worth it ;)

T

Time's Ran Out

Never had a penny off anyone for any of the lads I've advised, including my son!
Citb is just more paperwork .

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ive filled in one form a year, got about 7 grand in 3 years off citb,it is a pain in the arse , and takes some backwards and forwarding but its worth it

Reply to Apprenticeship Advice in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks