Search the forum,

Discuss applying adhesive methods? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pro-spec

alot of tiles i knock off reveal that they have been fixed to the wall with blobs of adhesive to the back of the tile instead of the adhesive being spread and notches on the wall.

do people use this as an alternative to notching permanent or is it only done when say walls are out etc?
what's the usual method? 4 blobs each corner and 1 in middle?

whats the dis/ advantages of this?

I did blob method on a floor once which was onto under tile heating wires , and then just made sure i squeezed plenty of grout in the joints.

D

Drastik Lee

NOOOOOOO dont ever dot and dab especially on floors as you get heavy traffic and there more prone to cracking the british standard code of practice for fixing wall and floor tiles offers guidance on how tiles should be fixed better of spreading wall/Floor then if uneven buttering up till level imo

P

Pro-spec

lol ok i wont do it again, to be fair i did dot n dab the tiles in a way that when i pushed them firmly down the adhesive would spread evenly covering all of the tile. i just didnt want to risk damaging the wires.

Reaction score
i wonder how many spot fix tile jobs there are in the uk ?and what percentage of new tile/stone installations are spot fix still today, and what the success rate of them would be .......i have pulled lots of spot fix Bathrooms,floors,kitchens to pieces that are only being changed because of updating,and have served there purpose well, i'am not condoning the spot fix method ,but BS standards are only recommendations ,i think they should be Law now ! well european standards

M

Muse2k8

What I usually do after putting in blobs and sticking in place (just start with full tile in corner it's so easy) is use a lump hammer to even them out. Usually if I'm using stone I don't bother to seal them... Takes too much effort.

Did this great job last week. White marble and red grout. Just used an icing bag to put the grout in then wet a cloth and gave it a wipe to clean. Easy.

Didn't bother with silicone either. Just butted up the corners at the wall etc. nice solid mdf wall and a good 6mm chipboard floor.

A

Alan M

What I usually do after putting in blobs and sticking in place (just start with full tile in corner it's so easy) is use a lump hammer to even them out. Usually if I'm using stone I don't bother to seal them... Takes too much effort.

Did this great job last week. White marble and red grout. Just used an icing bag to put the grout in then wet a cloth and gave it a wipe to clean. Easy.

Didn't bother with silicone either. Just butted up the corners at the wall etc. nice solid mdf wall and a good 6mm chipboard floor.
:lol::lol::thumbsup:

P

Pro-spec

yea that's pretty much what i did apart from i used dri wall adhesive on ceramic floor tiles, worked a treat.

W

White Room

Quality:lol::lol:

C

charlie1

i wonder how many spot fix tile jobs there are in the uk ?and what percentage of new tile/stone installations are spot fix still today, and what the success rate of them would be .......i have pulled lots of spot fix Bathrooms,floors,kitchens to pieces that are only being changed because of updating,and have served there purpose well, i'am not condoning the spot fix method ,but BS standards are only recommendations ,i think they should be Law now ! well european standards

Yeah, I wonder that too as I know a few fixers who spot fix, I know they do a lot of travertine and heavy porcs so, with the combination of poor fixing and natural stone becoming more popular, are we sitting on a time bomb? We all know the weight restrictions for different walls but I've allways wanted to do my own experiment using weights to see just how much weight a wall will take!

D

Drastik Lee

:lol::lol:

W

White Room

Yeah, I wonder that too as I know a few fixers who spot fix, I know they do a lot of travertine and heavy porcs so, with the combination of poor fixing and natural stone becoming more popular, are we sitting on a time bomb? We all know the weight restrictions for different walls but I've allways wanted to do my own experiment using weights to see just how much weight a wall will take!

You would probably find they would exeed the weights but the bs weights are a safe level, if they gave the figure slightly higher for tiles then they would exceed that which make it a dangerous issue...

M

Martino

Personallly i blob fix and also spead adhesive every job is different!...1 rule i always go by is..NEVER BLOB A FLOOR TILE!....it will crack no doubt..if someone stands on a hollow part then crak goes the tile!! NOT GOOD!.....with regards to people with underfloor heatins..simply spread the tile and not the floor it does the same job!...can be a tad messy but its the right way!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Personallly i blob fix and also spead adhesive every job is different!...1 rule i always go by is..NEVER BLOB A FLOOR TILE!....it will crack no doubt..if someone stands on a hollow part then crak goes the tile!! NOT GOOD!.....with regards to people with underfloor heatins..simply spread the tile and not the floor it does the same job!...can be a tad messy but its the right way!
Muse2k8 is that you again,have you made another user name,come on,own up,its you aint it:drool5:

Reply to applying adhesive methods? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen