Search the forum,

Discuss Anyone used the new Wickes Tile Panel (not aquapanel)? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
I need to tile 3 sides around a bath with a shower going into it. Two of them have been stripped back to brick and the third is a a stud wall.

Has anyone tried the new Wickes Tile Panel which is made by Knauf for Wickes and is £15.49 for a 4 x 3 sheet?

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Tile-Panel-1220x900x12-5mm/p/113664

There's not a huge amount of info on it but it's a glass fibre, fleece covered, gypsum board that according to Knauf technical is water resistant (although not fully waterproof) and is designed for domestic shower use. It can supposedly be dabbed to the wall using standard drywall adhesive and is a lot lighter and easier to cut than Hardibacker/Aquapanel.

They recommend tape and adhesive across the joints but they say it doesn't need to be tanked.

Any thoughts or experience with it or would I be better off using normal moisture resistant plasterboard and tanking it?

If it's best to tank than any particular recommendations for a tanking method?

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Qwerty

I have added the link :thumbsup:

I wouldn't waste time using such a product. Use either regular board and tank as you say, or use a dedicated tanking board such as wedi, Marmox, Kerdi or jackoboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt reply guys, it's much appreciated.

If I went the route of MR plasterboard around the room any particular recommendations for tanking?

Are the liquids such as the Ardex and Mapei systems adequate and will they work as well as a membrane?

Also when using either a liquid or membrane tanking how is it best to join the bath to the wall?

Reaction score
The bath is a straight 1600 x 800 and is going touching 3 full height wall, two brick for one end and the side and a timber stud for the other end.

Reaction score
I'm aiming for a snug fit on one end and the side and then I think I'm going to be left with a gap of about 10 - 20mm to do something with.

As the bath is out at the moment there is nothing stopping me tanking down the wall behind the bath before it's fitted.

Reply to Anyone used the new Wickes Tile Panel (not aquapanel)? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen