Search the forum,

Discuss Any need to prime painted kitchen wall? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Southtiler

Hi all,

Is there any need to prime a scuffed-up painted kitchen wall where the paint is very dry, long serving, so no chance of it falling off? I was going to use Bal Greenstar for addy for a basic ceramic tile job?

Thanks guys. Grateful for anything you have.
Gary.

D

Deleted member 9966

are we talking just a simple splashback here of a few tiles high or a larger area in a kitchen?

personally, I'd remove as much paint as possible if it's loose, sand over whatever is remaining, use a suitable primer for the adhesive and then tile away. but that's only if they are small lightweight ceramics.

S

Southtiler

hi, thanks for coming back. They're lighweight ceramics, it's about 4 sqm. Is there any issue with using paintstripper to remove the paint, if you wash the wall down properly afterwards?

Gary.

D

Deleted member 9966

hi, thanks for coming back. They're lighweight ceramics, it's about 4 sqm. Is there any issue with using paintstripper to remove the paint, if you wash the wall down properly afterwards?

Gary.

interesting question about the use of paintstripping solution. not something I'd consider doing myself. you'd have to be absolutely sure you cleaned it down thoroughly and that the solution hadn't soaked into the plaster behind. Your choice I guess. Maybe best to try a test patch on an inconspicuous area?

S

Southtiler

not sure how much a test patch would help, as i guess the issue would be longer term - whether there was anything in the stripper that worked against the adhesive in some way

D

Deleted member 9966

not sure how much a test patch would help, as i guess the issue would be longer term - whether there was anything in the stripper that worked against the adhesive in some way

yeah that's my concern too.

when I've come up against painted walls, I've sanded them back using a sander and medium grit paper. it's a messy and laborious job and you have to be careful not to puncture the plaster and the plasterboard.

maybe some of the other guys have got ideas. I'm sure additional input will be along shortly :thumbsup:

Reply to Any need to prime painted kitchen wall? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen